1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Bartman Receives Cubs World Series Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What is just beyond annoying is that the guy has long made it clear that he has no interest in participating in any of the grand gestures the fans conjure so they can foist their happy ending upon the nation. Yet they keep trying to draft him into this garbage.

It's not about Steve Bartman for them. They are performing. This is the baseball equivalent of every rich snot changing his or her Facebook profile pic to them in front of the Eiffel Tower.

doctorquant likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

I'm always a little surprised when I meet a truly passionate, knowledgable baseball fan and that person turns out to be a Cubs fan rather than a White Sox fan. It's possible that in the north suburbs there are more real Cubs fans, though.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Riptide likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Not vigorous enough.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What is about the white Sox that should produce more passionate, knowledgeable baseball fans than the Cubs?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Lack of Old Style?

7. Dick Whitman

I think a lot more casual fans and transplants who become Cubs fans, especially right now.

8. Dick Whitman

I sound like I'm down on Cubs fans. Honestly, a lot of fan bases could learn a thing or two from their perspective. Baseball isn't life or death. It's fun.

9. CD Boogie

Why if you moved to Chicago in, say, 2000 or even 2005, would you become a Cubs fan over a Sox fan?

10. Dick Whitman

Wrigley Field.

Wrigley Field bars.

Wrigley Field neighborhoods.

11. CD Boogie

yup, definitely got a better hood. funny, the other two team city -- new york -- has stadiums that are both in unattractive neighborhoods. pre- and post-gaming at yankees or Mets games just isn't much of a thing in those hoods.

12. Dick Whitman

There is tailgating at White Sox games, which is fun if you're the tailgating type, as I am. Guaranteed Rate/U.S. Cellular/Comiskey is probably more family friendly, overall. It's a more comfortable ballpark, for one thing. Wider concourses. More food stands that are easier to get to. A kids' zone in left field for them to burn some energy. It's easy in/easy out with adequate parking.

There just no "scene" there, from the perspective of a 25-year-old moving to the city's standpoint. And it's not as Instagrammable. There's ... baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted