1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Bartman Receives Cubs World Series Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I mean they don't care that much about winning and losing.

They aren't holding a grudge.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some metrics to support this statement

3. Dick Whitman

Silly.

Obviously it's my observation from living here for 40 years. I guess you're also making fun of my use of stats deeper than RBIs and the ol' eye test to evaluate baseball players. That's fine, too. That battle was long ago fought and the winner declared. You might as well fight addition and subtraction.

The idea that there is some significant, more than de minimis, number of Cubs fans holding a grudge against Steve Bartman is ludicrous. I don't know why the rest of the country seems so wedded to that narrative. I have legitimately never run into a person like that. Never.

4. CD Boogie

It was a joke.

5. Dick Whitman

Oh, sure. But with an edge.

I really do think that people from the outside looking in, who buy into the Cubs narrative, think this is some grand feel-good gesture by an organization and fan base that has long abused and ostracized this guy.

The truth is that they have been looking to long make him their little pet in order to lard their own mythology. Living in the middle of it, this shit is beyond tiring.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

DW,

Whatever, but I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes the past dozen years.

I see what you are saying about the team and myths, etc., but getting back to him - no way I'd want to experience what he did. That had to hurt on many levels - a basic fan reflex turning into a personal hellish nightmare. The WS win had to help heal that a bit, and, in my opinion, the ring is a nice gesture too.

VB

7. CD Boogie

Well the white Sox are still the only team to throw a World Series, so maybe they should have taken 2005 to present an overdue ring to the family of ray schalk. Missed opportunity

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, now I see more clearly where you're coming from ... that rings true to me.

9. Dick Whitman

I can see where it would be hellish because he just wants to be left alone and live his life. But I don't think Cubs fans are walking around holding a grudge against the guy. I think people misunderstand their "passion," interpreting it through the prism of their own fandom. Cubs fans aren't really an angry bunch. They're kind of like Smurfs.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL ... Smurfs

11. Dick Whitman

Oh, there were few opportunities missed in the late '80s/early '90s to mythologize Joe Jackson.

12. CD Boogie

When are the Indians gonna get in on this game? Time to start mythologizing Jose Mesa

Draft saved Draft deleted