1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Bartman Receives Cubs World Series Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Seriously, no one in Chicago cares about Steve Bartman outside of the opportunity he gives Cubs fans to self-aggrandize. This is not the Raiders or Red Sox or Eagles fan base. These are people who show up to drink beer and get a tan. If they win, eh. Bonus.

No one is pissed at Steve Bartman. Steve Bartman could piss on Kris Bryant's head in the ninth inning of Game 7 of the World Series and no one would care. In the heat of the NLCS, they briefly flashed their true colors. But nobody is walking around looking to take a run at Steve Bartmanin 2017. Not were they in 2004.

They don't care that much.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If he's still wearing those headphones, he deserves to get pummeled.

Huggy likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Maybe no one is looking to harm him, but it's insane to suggest his life wasn't adversely affected. His name became a punchline. People dressed as him for Halloween. You'll now probably say I'm replying to an imagination post, but you're definitely suggesting the incident had no effect on his life. It most certainly did.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm sure it has been an annoyance for years.

OK, ditch the headphones, get different style glasses, a different haircut, a different style cap, and you're golden.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Nothing has been mentioned whether the ring was specially engraved for Steve.

On the inside, it might say "Thanks, asshole!"

6. Dick Whitman

No, that's fair.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or it says "From Moises with Love."

sgreenwell and Vombatus like this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My first stop would be at John fuckin Kass's house.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

bartman.jpg

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I understand people only tangentially involved with the team's success often get one. I do not understand why Steve Bartman got one.

Unless you're saying Banks, Sandberg and Jenkins also got a ring.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Jeez, make up your mind.

Why? Because somebody still cares?

Uh, unless they don't care.

12. Dick Whitman

It's a P.R. ploy. Cubs fans acted like idiots that night, thereby shattering the myth that they are all great people. Since then, they have grown to see the incident as an opportunity to self-mythologize themselves and the franchise with some grand gesture.

They could give two shits about Steve Bateman outside of the opportunity he represents for them. It's essentially baseball fan fiction come to life.

Draft saved Draft deleted