1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steubenville rape case goes national

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Why would you have sympathy for boys who violated a passed-out girl? Are you sympathetic because they only used their fingers? would you be less sympathetic if they had used their dicks? Or a pistol? Or a hairbrush?
    She was insensate and one of them tried to get her to suck his dick.
    Plenty of room for sympathy?
    That's why rape victims are still stigmatized.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have sympathy for teenagers who are going away for the rest of their lives because they killed somebody. It's a terrible situation for them and their parents, and I especially identify with the parents. I think you are confusing "sympathy" with mounting a full defense for them. It is possible to agree with the sentence and still shake my head that it ever came to that.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fetch that man a beer, noob.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I don't have sympathy for those assholes. Have you watched the video? Do you have any understanding of what those jackasses acted like and did?

I was 17 years old, too, once, and I sure as fuck didn't act like that. Sympathy my ass. They can rot in jail where they belong.

They should have got a lot more time than they did.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

They fucked up their lives in one stupid night.

I might sympathize, or not, but that's a damn shame.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I thought they can only go away until they're 21. Did I read that? I'm remembering that somehow.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, the two from Steubenville can only be locked up until 21.

I think LTL was emphasizing that he feels sympathy for teenagers who screw their life up in general.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Correct. I was saying I can sympathize with even more extreme cases than this one.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Fair enough Billy T. Yes it was certainly more than a brief but we had other things going on that local and more compelling to our readers. It got played well inside but not on 1A.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Rip: I just have to wonder if it was just that one night.

Somehow, I think not, but I will admit there is no way to know.

But maybe karma is abitch.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thanks, Drip.

Like I said, I don't think it *had* to go on the front, but like you said, better than a brief.

We talked it over a good deal yesterday.

It was a situational thing. We had a good local feayure and a good local hard news story. We didn't really have a national news story, and nothing else local rose to the front. Folks who thought it mighgt not have been a front-page story noted there really wasn't anything else screaming to get out there.

Thanks again for the discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted