1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steubenville rape case goes national

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or blamed the girls parents for not being more aware of what their daughter was doing. I think a lot of parents decide not to go down that road because they see it as a can of worms.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Perhaps true, in the pampered East Coast circles you happen to travel in.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

No, in those circles, it's lacrosse.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I find it disturbing that a paper would place a rape case in a different place just because it's a rape case. (Maybe I am reading something into that, but that way it struck me when I read it was that there was somehow something embarrassing or wrong about reporting on rape.)

I would think you report in something regardless of the news value no matter what.

If you want to discuss the news value, that's different.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent point. On a slow, very slow news day, it wouldn't make the front page below the fold. It's a regional story, not a national story. The only national news peg is that it involves a small-town football team from the rust belt. Outside of that, no value to my readership.
    It may top the briefs page but that's about it. As for facebook and twitter, big deal.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

CNN catching flak for its coverage:
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/cnn-steubenville-rape-poppy-harlow-144458279.html

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a dumb-shit article. She was observing what was happening in court, and that is what was happening -- the boys' future being determined. They did not dismiss the victim, they discussed her too, but it's perfectly natural to think those boys need to be punished and to also feel sorry for what was really an alcohol-fueled mistake by a couple of stupid 16-year-olds.

Stupid fucking article and ridiculous criticism.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Driving home drunk is a stupid decision by a 16-year-old.

Fingering a passed out girl is predatory and sociopathic.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And that's why they're going away. I still think there's plenty of room to have sympathy. And, again, the reporter was observing the reactions of the courtroom. Those were the reactions of the courtroom.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Deadspin goes after the Steubenville coach:

http://deadsp.in/ZVtjlq

Also, after a request on the Random Thoughts thread, I put the long URL for this story through bitly.com to get the shortened URL you seen here. Took maybe 15 seconds. The shortened URLs really help, especially for mobile devices.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Drip: I respect your opinion, but I disagree, partly because I think it's been picked up by national media, and partly because I think it strikes a chord with a trend of anti-women stories that has been growing.

As far as facebook and twitter go, I know I probably read the Internet a lot more than normal people, but if our readers are using those things, don't we need to respond to that?

We hashed this over a couple times today, and I gave my reasoning to the ME, and he accepted it. (We get a good bit of leeway with him).

A couple of other staff members said they had been following it closely as well.

I wouldn't have minded it being inside, and in fact would have had little issue, but I do think it is more important than a brief.

Draft saved Draft deleted