1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steubenville-like case with worst ending: Girl's suicide linked to rape, photos

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

None of you really think the degradation, humiliation, objectification and raping of women is anything new, do you? Now, instead of he said/she said, though, there are electronic bits of evidence. Horrible these girls are in such despair they sometimes kill themselves....but this is not a new story. I am sure hundreds of women were raped last night in th U.S alone.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And I would laugh right back at them. Their jobs don't make them immune to "good ol' days" syndrome. In fact, it makes them even more likely to be wrong because of it.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't think anyone is saying this is new. It's sick, it's vile, and these people carrying out these acts are among the lowest forms of scum. And I think we're all sick of it. The new age of media and technology has put it front and centre. I would argue -- blindly, mind you, not having looked at any stats -- that this shit is becoming more common, and the fact that these kids think it's not only OK, but cool enough to share with the world through Facebook and twitter and then vilify the victim is a direct view into how screwed up the world is getting.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Exactly as Beef says. I don't think it's new by any stretch. What is new is the frequency and the willingness of others to stand around, watch, and post photos of it as quickly as possible.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1,000 photos on the Internet of public lynchings from the early 20th century rebut this claim.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then you take away their computers, tablets, smart phones when they are punished. Make it clear that owning those things is a privilege, not a right.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And beat the ever-loving shit out of them at the same time for being a bunch of fucking monsters.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

"But that's not like posting the pictures on Facebook."

No, back in the good ol' days, lynching pictures were turned into postcards and disseminated that way.

9. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Sorry, disagree. Women/girls get treated like this, because there is an element thst has always done so. These animals that do this learn it. After all, as recently as 1990, 10 to 14 percent of women who had been married had been raped by their husbands, which was legal as recently as 1975.

Also: The Accused.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My buddy's daughter goes to that school; man that's bad. It is a ritzy neighborhood and the biggest problem? Risky Business all over again; parents away, leave kids with full run of house.

I asked my da about how I was 40 yrs ago, he said "yeah you were scared of your mom". My kids don't fear wifey and I like the good ole days.

It is true, when I was accused of something in college mom said " you must have done something wrong to get accused" nowadays different parental feedback.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

shut up and count yourself dismissed. most ridiculous premise for a post ever

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I wasn't even entirely talking about raping girls. It could be anything stupid kids do today even if not criminal. Instead of having a few buddies around and somebody saying "hold my beer and watch this" it's gone to "film this. it'll go viral, and I'll be famous." It could be something as mild as jumping off the top of the house into a swimming pool or rolling somebody's yard. When someone posts it online, the next group has to one-up them.

Draft saved Draft deleted