1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steroids: Not just a sports story anymore!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 13, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://breakingnews.nypost.com/dynamic/stories/N/NY_STEROID_RAID_NYOL-?SITE=NYNYP&SECTION=HOME

PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (AP) -- A number of entertainers were named in connection with an Albany-based steroid investigation, but are not part of an ongoing criminal probe, according to a published report.

The Times Union of Albany cited unnamed sources in a Sunday report that R&B music star Mary J. Blige, rap musicians 50 Cent, Timbaland and Wyclef Jean, and award-winning author and producer Tyler Perry may have received or used performance enhancing drugs.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I couldn't imagine 50 Cent using steroids.

I guess Fat Joe said it best in his diss to Fifty:

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There is no known drug that could possibly enhance the performance of rap.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Snoop Dogg begs to disagree.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I saw Mary J. Blige on Access Hollywood and she now sounds like Mark J. Blige.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This info isn't really surprising but it underlines the inherent hypocrisy in the way this issue has been pursued. An investigation of Henry Waxman's district (Hollywood) would likely yield the biggest steroid problem per capita in the country. Vanity users -- models, actors, singers, bodybuilders and wannabes -- represent a much bigger problem, overall, than professional sports.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The difference is, nobody cares if people use PED for vanity reasons. They do care when it affects the balance of fairness in competition.

PEDs don't help actors win Oscars, nor rappers Grammys. They do help baseball players or other athletes set records, win games and affect the results of the competitions they participate in.

As far as the US Weekly crowd is concerned, Britney showing off her vajayjay and poor mothering skills is of much bigger interest than how 50 Cent stays ripped, especially when plastic surgery has been the norm in the entertainment industry for decades.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm all for anything that puts a little rage in rappers. They're normally such a docile group.

But combine rage with an arsenal of weaponry, and hillarity is sure to ensue.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

bigpern, agreed, but where is the outrage from Congress? Wasn't their reason for caring supposed to be the bad example for young people? Isn't that why they paraded out parents talking about their kids killing themselves?

Congress should be jumping on the Hollywood types just as hard about this, but somehow I don't see it happening.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

[​IMG]

Speak softly, Mr. berry, or I'll be sending a plague of hungry rodents to your door! /Henry Waxman

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Had no comment

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't see Hollywood as a big influence on kids using PEDs. Hollywood has a bigger impact on girls who try to be too thin and who want breast implants for their Sweet 16 (and, yes, this happens).

Looking good in Hollywood has always been more about plastic surgery than actually doing work (PEDs still require hard work to see their benefit).

Hell, if anything, I'd bet that the entertainment industry has been as influenced by athletes using PEDs as kids have been.

Draft saved Draft deleted