1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steroids in baseball question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Tom House was an interesting fellow.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Duke Snider is on the record admitting the took an occasional greenie. His career ended in 1965. Of course, the greenies they had were basically like two cans of Red Bull.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I know that Nolan Ryan has a lot of possibilities, but if he were to come up dirty, I completely give up.
    Never again would I watch one pitch or swing of baseball, and I love baseball.
    Never again.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All sports are dirty to some degree.

Watch an NBA game from 1978 to what they are doing today. And do not give me a "hours in the gym" bullshit answer.

Shit look at the builds of rappers or the empty heads doing reality TV. Watch The Duel or whatever it's called and tell me those kids are not doing something.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's the big problem. Players have been using for years. Sometime in the early 1990s, the chemistry got good enough to upset the balance.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Well, there's a huge difference between taking greenies (some of which were their wives' prescribed diet pills) and taking something that's going to make you order your shirts three sizes bigger.

7. RickStain

The difference being effectiveness.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Greenies had the same short-term effect as three cups of black coffee. Players took greenies to wake up, recover from hangovers.

Steroids radically change your body and potentially make you a different player.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'd feel sad if it was true of either Ruth or Ripkin.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, certain levels of cheating are acceptable, but not others?

11. RickStain

Even if we're assuming that players back then only took greenies, which I think is far from true, I don't see the difference. Stuff that makes you play better is stuff that makes you play better.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What's your definition of cheating as it relates to baseball?

Draft saved Draft deleted