1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steroids in baseball question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 17, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Tony Gwynn is on my 'no way' list. Why do you think otherwise?

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Right - I mean, has it been proven or suggested that steroids make you a better pure contact hitter?

Gwynn never hit more than a few handfuls of HRs in any season, right? (Too lazy to look it up.)

I can't be shocked at anybody, but I guess Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz would make me queasy.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Ethically speaking on the season mark. Here's McGwire, who lied about how he got his, and then same for Bonds. Hell, if Maris was guilty, you're going back to Ruth to legitimize the mark.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

How about the Rangers' third baseman, Michael Young? Always the team player, never the individualist ego that seems to bring that shit on.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pudge - you have to be kidding right?

For me it would be Paul O'Neal.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would suspect it could help bat speed, which could definitely make you a better contact hitter.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fuck Canseco. Now the loser is trying to sue for not being in the Hall of Fame or some such bullshit.

Let's not forget that he lied for many years about his own use. Also, he has a grudge against all of baseball. He is a provan liar with strong motivation. The fact that some of the shit he threw against the wall stuck does not make him credible. He basically accuses every name he can think of so he can say he was proven right every time a name player gets busted.

There are good reasons to suspect Pudge Rodriguez. An accusation by Canseco is not one of them.

9. Castaway

Castaway New Member

And he went from 35 homers a year to 5---not that that is unusual or anything.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Rivera. On the flip side, and I think the equally interesting question is who would you be most thrilled to see be busted. For me it's easy - Schilling.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was thinking of this question earlier today, and Mo would definitely be the guy I'd be most shocked. He doesn't look like a guy who would be using, and he's pretty religious. But for a guy to still be nearly one of the best at what he does at age 39 (he has slipped a little this year), there can be that tiny seed of doubt.

And for guys who I'd love to see get busted, I'd say Chipper Jones.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did I miss a commandment? Thou shalt not inject?

Draft saved Draft deleted