1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steroids in Baseball: A Compromise

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 17, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

This may sound kind of off the wall, but hear me out:

What if MLB legalized steroids and other PEDs, only the catch was the batter gets just two strikes instead of three?

This would effectively penalize players for their use but without tarnishing the game. (It is a shame that two of the game's best hitters of the last 20 years had to retire in disgrace due to positive PED tests, and people will assume anyone that failed a test juiced their entire career).

Under this plan, it would be up to the players and their coaches to weigh the benefits and costs of use. Teams could submit, before the season lists of all players that plan to juice to MLB. There would still be testing, under the testing regime any team that has a player caught juicing that was not on their list would forfeit the entire season. Because of how heavy this penalty is, it would effectively never be used - no player would want to jeopardize the success of the entire organization and the careers of their teammates.

What do you think?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Steroids are out of baseball.

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I'm referring to all PEDs, actually. Fan interest is greater when home run races are happening. The home run leader this year will top out at around 45 homers...that's a long way from 73. This policy would allow a top slugger like a Sosa or McGwire to do their thing but not compromise the integrity of the game.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

By the way, Moderator, if you're reading this: Thank you for upgrading me to Jr. Member!

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

What do I think? I think this is a really stupid idea.

Yeah! Let's change the most basic of rules in baseball just so people can use things that are awful. Let's teach kids that they should fuck up their bodies and there is nothing wrong with it!

"For it's one, two and maybe three strikes, you're out,
    At the old ball game."

6. mb

mb Active Member

We've had some stupid ideas here through the years.
    Some really, really, stupid ideas.

This one's waaaaaaaay up there on the short list of stupidest of all. Probably one step behind Chef's self-mutilation.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I'M not saying MLB should adopt this proposal but I think it's worth discussion.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's a compromise -- you quit posting stupid crap, and I quit calling you stupid. Win/win.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Two stupid posts in one thread:
    1)
    Dumb...not worth discussing. Period.

2)
    Another idiot post. Mod has nothing to do with it..you are over 500 (mostly idiotic) posts now. Congrats...you trolled your way to a new title.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

i just knew this post was going to be... Jeter gets to use, everyone else doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted