1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steroids and Golf

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jul 18, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

any of these slaps bother to ask Player how steroids will help a guy with his hip and shoulder rotation and wrist snap, which basically give golfers their power?

I think the golfer he's referring to is Laura Davies

2. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

From that statement it seems like you don't understand. You can use steroids to gain strength and stamina, not just to bulk up. Harvey Penick advocated not doing any strength training other than swinging a weighted golf club. His idea was to gain strength in muscles that worked in the golf swing only. Looking back, how stupid is that? Yet it was considered gospel for decades.

Steroids will help you in ANY athletic endeavour. Golf should test, I don't understand why people are calling Player out on this.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So Tiger's a lesser player now than when he was 13?
    Is that what you're trying to tell me?
    Tiger Woods has not "bulked up"? Did you see him walking down the fairways at Oakmont in that red pullover? It looked like the freaking Batman costume, with the muscles in plastic mold. I'd imagine it was done naturally, but that's not my point. The point is that they've been talking for years about how Tiger's strength forced others on the Tour into the fitness trailer. Tiger's strength has not prevented him from winning 15 major tournaments (the Amateurs count, if they count for Bobby Jones, they count for Tiger and Jack).

For what I hope is the last time, but I'm certain will not be, steroids are not simply employed for the purpose of "bulking up." They are employed to help athletes who train with recovery time. In the case of those who choose to build muscle, they can work out for longer periods of time with greater intensity. That leads to greater muscle gains.
    If you're a pitcher, or a marathon runner or, I don't know, a golfer, you might not be searching for extreme muscle gains. That does not mean you would not wish your recovery time to be accelerated and that steroids would not be of benefit to you.
    School is out.
    No need to thank me.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Every year at Q-school there are several guys who barely miss getting their card. Many of them would succeed if they were hitting wedges into greens instead of 5-irons and 6-irons.

So, yeah, 50 yards makes a big difference at that level.

Draft saved Draft deleted