1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steroids and Golf

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Jul 18, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Will this fixation with the needle ever end?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2940886

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Gary Player is an obnoxious, arrogant ass.

3. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I just saw this, and I can't imagine many benefits. If someone can clue me in, that'd be great.
    But risk vs. reward seems to be tipped way in favor of the risk. If a golfer's buying HGH to gain 50 yards on his drive, someone ought to take his nine-iron and beat him over the head.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Hmmm.

Just to gain distance? Can't see that being terribly useful, though if you're a smaller guy it might be. However, isn't one of the benefits the ability to lift longer and more often? Rather than using it to lift, wouldn't there be benefit to being able to practice more often and harder?

And my guess is that there's plenty of guys on lesser tours willing to do whatever it takes to shave a stroke or two off their average. It's the difference between playing for hundreds and thousands, and playing for hundreds of thousands.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

John Daly's on Diet Coke, cigarettes and Big Macs.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm personally opposed to testing without cause but there would be benefits to golfers using PEDs. Slightly off topic, I wrote a story about whether the PGA should adopt a program to deal with drugs of abuse back in '86, I believe, in the wake of the "drugs in the dugout" scandal and the NCAA beginning its drug-testing program. The PGA tour pr dude was aghast I was writing the piece. Trevino and Zoeller both laughed it off, saying the young guys who exercised all the time was making it difficult on old-school drinkers like them. Others said golf is all about the honor system or that you couldn't survive on the tour if you were doing blow or whatever.

7. Mmac

Mmac Guest

For some guys on the fringe, that extra 50 yards on their drive can mean the difference between making the cut and not, between having a career as PGA golfer and having to get a real job like the rest of us.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Any power you'd gain on your drives through steroids, HGH or other PEDs, you'd piss away as much (if not more) touch on your putting and pitching.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Wow.
    Shows there still are many out there who still have no idea how steroids work. Of course we knew that because the baseball witch hunters still aren't looking at pitchers, even though pitchers have been caught with the needles sticking out of their arms.

10. Freelance Hack

I know how 'roids and PEDs work, thank you very much.

If you use steroids to bulk up in an attempt to hit the ball farther then you will lose the touch needed to master the greens. At best, it's a wash.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that someone who bulks up won't have putting problems? Do you not know how to play golf?

11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Ah, not to be an ass-hat Mr. Hack but your assertion sounds similar to the folks who warned hoops players against the dangers of lifting weights when I was in high school more than three decades ago. They claimed you'd lose your shooting touch. ::)

They were wrong then, as is the assertion about putting. Woods' didn't get that body by looking at weights and his touch seems just fine, thank you very much.

12. Freelance Hack

Tiger's touch is just fine? Really? Because his putting cost him several strokes at Oakmont last month.

Draft saved Draft deleted