1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stern block Chris Paul trade to Lakers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I do what I can, dear.

... dammit

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Gasol trade to the lakers was properly dubbed the donation. What is uneven about this other than others bitching like schoolgirls? F you stern.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

What could the N.O Hornets do? I think based on the position Paul put them it would have been a good trade. It is just the right move to block it because it speaks to player controlling the league and going to super teams and forfeiting the concept of team basketball.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, this is NOT an unfair "superteam" scenario at all. The Lakers were giving up both Gasol and Odom. In other words, a current all star big man (and probably the league's most talented low post scorer) AND the reigning winner of the League's Sixth Man of the Year award. That's a fair enough exchange, this was not a sham trade, no reason this deal needed to be nixed.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeah, for those who were saying this was stacked for the Lakers:

The Lakers got Chris Paul and gave up Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.

The Rockets got Pau Gasol and gave up Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic and a No.1 pick.

The Hornets got Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic, No. 1 pick, Lamar Odom. They gave up Chris Paul.

The league vetoed a deal that unquestionably helped out the smaller market team. Paul is leaving. Period. This is the best deal the Hornets could have got for him.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I totally agree I think that actually would have weakened the Lakers at the front but mind you this was a part and parcel to another trade with Orlando which would have changed everything. You would have seen the Miami Heat west with the Lakers having 3 all stars and a bunch of scrubs around them. That is not good NBA basketball it is AAU basketball. The owners should have held out longer and forced the players to agree to even less money and less freedom. The league is turning into a friends network. The league should be about competition and balance not a few stacked teams with the rest struggling to make money or compete.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, it's not. Howard is not going to the Lakers if the Lakers have already dealt Odom and Gasol.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It gives the Lakers a point guard, and lets them keep Andrew Bynum, for the last 4-5 years of Kobe's career. Once you have that big three, that's a big head start.

Say I'm Golden State. I have been talking to the Hornets, and we have the secondary parts of the package about right, but I want to give them Monta Ellis and they insist on Steph Curry.

Prove to me that this deal is better than Ellis-whatever.

And that's what I'm talking about -- sure, the deal might look good to you, but how many teams are flipping out because they think their packages are/were at least as good and the NBA, as it always does, simply chose the one that keeps the Lakers humming (and national TV ratings as high as possible) for the next half-decade?

9. LongTimeListener

I believe Paul is under contract for this season, which means he plays wherever the contract says he plays. Next year, he will be a free agent and you will be correct. Otherwise you can just say that about any player anywhere at any time.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Reports are that Stern blocked it because Lakers were also going to trade Bynum to Orlando for Dwight Howard.

11. LongTimeListener

Paul
    Bryant
    Howard

Nah, not stacked. They had to give up Lamar Odom!

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If someone wants to explain to be how they are trading for Howard without Odom or Gasol I'd love to hear it.

Draft saved Draft deleted