1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stern and the NBA Owners Exposed.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jul 6, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with QT, despite his problems quoting ;) From Silver's analysis, it seems like the magic number for the revenue split for MLB and the NFL is around 50 to 60 percent of revenues. The NBA was in this window.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

qtlaw -- if the players can hold out and force the owners to spread their wealth among each other and not take it out of the player pool, as the baseball union did, more power to them. The owners don't think the players can do that. I'm betting the owners will be proven correct.

Because, remember:

"Sure we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too." -- Patrick Ewing

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I do not disagree. I still recall Kenny Anderson's quote about having $60K just for "hanging around money."

I just get sick of the owners crying poor when the solution is right in front of the mirror, themselves. All franchises have made ridiculous decisions.

Hell, my beloved GSWs gave Stephen Jackson a cap-choking three year extension even though he still had 2 years left on his deal and what did Jackson do right after signing? Plede allegiance to the plight of the GSWs? Nope, demanded a trade.

Reigning World Champion Mavericks gave Diop $27M!! Dampier $12M/yr!!!

Lakers have Luke Walton on the bench for $6m/yr!! They gave Radmonovic $9M/yr!!

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Or maybe not:

http://bizofbasketball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=843:as-nba-enters-lockout-numbers-show-why-system-is-broken&catid=42:articles-a-opinion&Itemid=57

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hasn't half the league's teams changed hands in the last 10-15 years? That says a lot. And it's hard to pay back a loan to buy a team if you aren't making a profit. Of course, maybe the NBA should hire Dean Singleton as a consultant.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Before going too far down the road into debating which numbers are most applicable, realize that none of them truly apply. These are private companies that have an enormous interest in not allowing their financials to be made public, so any number should be viewed with skepticism. Accounting tricks alone could make 90 percent of the league look like it's losing money. Forbes in particular has always received too much credit for figures that are just guesses when it comes down to it.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Silver quite accurately points out (as I have repeatedly) that the NBA is basing its strategy on the NHL lockout of 2004-05.

The strategy: Shut the whole shebang down for a year then reopen under whatever rules YOU see fit to impose. Make a DOA opening offer, then just keep moving the goalposts. The unconditional-victory strategy as seen in many other venues these days.

Oh, and although the article relies almost completely on the Forbes financial figures (as pretty much by definition any story of this sort must, since there really is no other source for much of this information) he does allude near the end to the possibility the Forbes figures may be somewhat less than completely accurate (i.e., cooked).

The owners will win for two reasons:

1) The players cannot survive a lengthy lockout, and

2) Our entire social/political/legal/media/economic system is now entirely devoted to lovingly licking the nether regions of the billionaires.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The NHL did not impose whatever they wish on the players. If you have a look the players are doing far better than they were before and the NHL is looking at changing their system again

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd say the fact 10-15 NBA franchises changed hands in the last decade -- at ever increasing prices -- indicates NBA franchises are desirable commodities. If 10-15 had changed hands at ever-lower prices, the owners might have an argument.
    Let's get real. These are sports team owners we're talking about here. For a nickel, they'd lie about the weather. It's foolish to believe a word they or Stern say.
    The smartest thing the players could do is find some tame richos and start a new league. That'd end the lockout in short order. But they're not entrepreneurial-minded people.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's really the best solution for the players, do the USFL thing. With the lockout, the owners have freed the players to play for whoever they want, whenever they want.

As Starman points out, the majority out there have somehow been conditioned to lap the toes of the billionaires in almost every issue these days.

If the NBA does what the NHL did, I'm pulling my family's $$ out and spending it elsewhere.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Imposing a salary cap with an across-the-board 30% payroll cut pretty much is the definition of "imposing the solution you want."

The leagues who do it now will quickly run to Congress to demand, and get, unconditional exemptions from all antitrust laws, because the future of our Republic utterly depends on pro sports franchises being able to ignore whatever labor laws they feel like.

NOBODY -- nobody -- will dare oppose it, because if you do you will be throwing your lot behind "thug punk criminal greedy lazy athletes" who are utterly reviled by the public. Who wants to jump on THAT bus heading into an election year?

Plus, a lot of people in Congress will be very happy about the example it sets.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

24%, cut and have you looked at what's going on in the NHL lately? You obviously haven't because the players made out just fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted