1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sterling, Illinois, desk job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pringle, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Paul Skrbina would be a great guy to work for:

Description:
    Sauk Valley Newspapers, a 26,000 circulation seven-day operation in northern Illinois and member of the Shaw Newspapers group, seeks an innovative sports design and copy editor to join our sports team. Experience is preferred, but a strong portfolio, lots of enthusiasm and the drive to excel will warrant our consideration.

This is an excellent opportunity for a forward-thinking, creative individual ready to share our vision of great sports journalism. The 12-page pullout weekly high school football tab we started this season has been a hit. Our preseason tabs are a high priority and excellence is expected of our daily sections.

Think you can help? We’re looking for someone with strong editing skills first, a good eye for design second, and the ability to write an occasional story third.

Experience with pagination, QuarkXPress and Photoshop are required, along with night and weekend work.

Send cover letter, resume and your best clips (PDFs preferred) to Paul Skrbina, Sauk Valley Newspapers, P. O. Box 498, Sterling, IL 61081 or email to pskrbina@svnmail.com.

offers a competitive salary, good benefits package including health, dental & life insurance and 401(k), and growth opportunities within Shaw Newspapers, a family-owned newspaper company. We are an equal opportunity employer; background check and drug screen required.

2. This was posted a few months ago (like July) and was never filled. I believe it is a new position that the paper added. I heard the paper was not impressed with the quality of applicants the first time around.

3. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

This is a pretty mediocre paper in a pretty mediocre town.

Never met the guy, but it looks like Skrbina has a decent pedigree.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Could an applicant drink 5 or 6 Red Bulls to show lots of enthusiasm?

Seriously, I cannot imagine another industry on the face of this planet that devalues quality and skill as much as newspapers do when advertising for the next washout.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

You're a total idiot. Paul has forgotten more about what it takes to put out a good sports section than you and your little hit-and-run blog will ever know. He was a finalist at a 90,000-circulation paper for the same job he holds now in Sterling.

You've never met the guy, probably never heard of the paper before your read this ad, yet you're going to come on here and try to poison the waters based on an out-of-context line on the job description?

I know you have a little smirk on your face right now because you're getting what you want - a reaction. But you need to get punched in the mouth. Grow the fuck up, asshole.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Thanks for stopping in Paul.

7. pskrbina

pskrbina New Member

Thanks for thanking me before my arrival. Makes me feel pretty welcome. ;D
    Seriously, if anyone has any questions about this job, feel free to PM or e-mail me.
    Paul

8. JB20

JB20 Member

My dad works in Sterling (the town, now at the paper), and for its size, Sterling-Rock Falls isn't that bad. Not much to do, but every town is what you make it. It is close to the Quad Cities, Dubuque, Clinton, Rockford and probably 1 1/2 hours to downtown Chicago on a good traffic day (if you drive fast like I do).

I know a few people who interned at the paper while I was in college. They had nothing but good things to say, but that was years ago. Not sure what the sports department is like, but I'm guessing it's coverage of preps, preps and more preps.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

A finalist at a 90,000-circulation paper? Oh, no! Then I must be wrong!

If you fight as well as you argue, I can just have one of the kids on the block deal with your silly threat.

Now go back to your own private delusions. I'm sure there's some much less complicated issue that you can attempt to debate and get destroyed on.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

http://www.timewarp-toys.com/troll....]http://www.timewarp-toys.com/troll.jpg[/img]

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You're far too clever.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This thread is funny. Makes me want to find out something really cool about Sterling, Illinois, just because of how this thread took a wrong toyne at Alba-coy-kee.

Draft saved Draft deleted