1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stepping On Toes. Am I?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I cover college football. I have a BLOG! as mandated by the paper. I actually enjoy maintaining it. It gives me a place for stuff that can't make it into print, it's good notebook items, candid stuff, etc.

However, it's described as "news and notes on Podunk College and from around the Bumville Conference."

Am I stepping on toes, offending the competition, breaking some ethical code if I'm breaking news or calling coaches from another city/team?

Thing is, I think this BLOG! can help me (maybe) land a better gig. And expanding my readership - be it online or in print - can only help.

Should I concentrate on my beat team and only that team? Or should I expand if I've sniffed out something newsworthy?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Do your job as you see fit. You're not stepping on anyone else's toes. Writers don't have exclusivity with beats, especially if the writer works at another paper.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'd say it depends on the level of interest Podunk College's fans have in the conference as a whole. If there's not much interest, you might keep it an occasional thing. But if you figure people want to keep up on the other schools, then I don't see why you shouldn't throw in some extra stuff if you can get it, especially if it's an upcoming opponent.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

If you are breaking news on somebody else's beat, they shouldn't be mad at you.

They should be pissed at themselves.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wha?? Fuck them.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Ditto what everyone else said. Bust your ass, and use it to show potential future bosses.

My guess is Chris Low didn't float it past anyone in South Carolina when he broke the Spurrier story.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Amen. You go, Pete.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You may be stepping on toes. That's OK. It's part of doing your job. If you find something newsworthy, run with it. If somebody else on the beat is stupid enough to be mad at you for being a better reporter, you should inform him that he should go to Helen Waite, your complaint manager. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted