1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephenie Meyer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Tonight when I went to Barnes and Noble to hang out and browse like I usually do when I get out of work early, I had a lot more trouble finding a parking space and once I got in, I almost got trampled by groups of teenage girls, many of them dressed up, involved in what seemed to be some sort of scavenger hunt.
    Seems it has something to do with the release of Stephenie Meyer's new book.
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but who is Stephenie Meyer and what is the big deal about this book?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My teenage daughter is beside herself with eager anticipation.

This is (almost) Harry Potter big.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Read Entertainment Weekly from a couple weeks ago, you'll learn all about it.

4. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

My paper had a local story about the midnight release parties. Teenage girls with purple glitter and black fingernail polish reading about vampire romance. Fuck it, at least they're reading.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

EW has been pushing this thing really hard and I'd never heard of her before this week - that said, nothing like creating a lot of "anticipation" for something.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I saw a bunch of girls (and some 20-somethings too) chilling in front of the B&N at 11:30 tonight waiting for the big release. If I knew the first thing about the series, I would have yelled out random made-up spoilers to piss them off. That'll teach girls for learning to read things that aren't cookbooks!

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not as big as Harry Potter. Not even close. HP had worldwide appeal that spanned both genders and all age groups.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Are they making movies of these? Cause I keep seeing things on facebook implying that the kid who played Cedric Diggory in the Potter movies was going to be the male lead in a Twilight adaptation. I could look it up, but I'm lazy tonight.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They're either making a movie of the first book, or the whole series. Whichever one it is, I think it's to come out in October.

10. sportschick

Yea, I just looked it up. I may have to read the books now, cause, um, well, the kid who played Diggory is pretty damned hot and I prefer to read the book before I see the flick :D

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

They made Diggory ugly :(

Also, the writing is pretty wretched and plots are laughable. Do not compare to HP. Kthx.

12. sportschick

How can he be ugly? That's unpossible!

Draft saved Draft deleted