1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen Strasburg, Va.?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jun 4, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

www.renamestrasburg.com

So apparently, my hometown is willing to change its name if The Man makes an appearance sometime between now and the end of the year.

Pretty funny.

Edit: Deadspin has also picked up on this...

http://deadspin.com/5555518/town-offers-to-rename-itself-stephen-strasburg

2. JackReacher

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-renamingstrasburg

Apparently, if The Man visits sometime during the town's 250th anniversary in 2011, they'll rename the town for a day or a week. Not as asinine as I once thought. Might help to have come clarifying statements like that on the awful web site.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I am actually 10 miles away from Strasburg, VA as I type this. I'm moving there. This is awesome.

4. JackReacher

You're going to live in Strasburg? Not Winchester or another "way better than Strasburg" town nearby?

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Listen, I'm about to live in a house in the middle of who-the-fuck-knows-where-I-am. Waldo couldn't find it. Magellan couldn't find it. I am about to be surrounded by wildlife that I can't even begin to imagine. No shit, we were driving down the street yesterday, and I turned to the BF and said, "watch out for that cat." And he said, "that's not a cat." I don't know what the fuck it was, but it was brown and it had a tail, and it scurried. Shit's going down.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

That'll happen.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Have had close encounters with deer in the middle of city streets and parking lots in the wee hours of the morning more than once in the last year.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been where she's going. The Nats better not let Strasburg go to them there parts. He'll become a meal for some of that wildlife.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My dogs are bad, but not THAT bad.

10. JackReacher

The most stunning part of the story wasn't that they'd rename the town if The Man visited. It was that the population was listed as 6,200. When I lived there not that long ago, it hovered around 3,500.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Once you left, people felt it was OK to return.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

I was compiling our baseball notes last night and was considering using this, but the wire story didn't make any sense. It said the town of Strasburg, Va., had offered to name itself after Stephen Strasburg. To which I said: Big deal. Isn't it already named after him? The story never said the name would actually change to "Stephen Strasburg, Va."

Draft saved Draft deleted