1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen King: Novels, Novellas or Short Stories?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 25, 2008.

?

Stephen King: Novels, Novellas or Short Stories? Which is his best medium?

1. Novels

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Novella

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Short Story

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I don't feel like reading the entire thread, so I might be repeating something here.

My favorite movies of all time are "Stand By Me" and "The Shawshank Redemption." I purchased "Different Seasons," which is a collection of four stories that includes these two novellas as well as Apt Pupil.

Although I have not actually read the book yet, considering the quality of the movies that were begat by these stories, I have consider this to be Stephen King's best work.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

In college, my favorite professor made us read "On Writing," great stuff.
    Had to put my vote on short stories because we read "The Man in the Black Suit" and I still think is one of his greatest works.

3. Sounds good, I missed out on the SJ book club before. I'm still waiting for the weekly Wire discussion group.

And did anyone see they're making a movie version of "Dolan's Cadillac" with Christian Slater as Dolan?

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Yes.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Haven't read the rest of this but with King it is simple. The more words, the worse. His shorter stuff is terrific. Four Seasons is probably his best book. All four tales stood out. When he gets into the seven, eight, nine hundred pages range *** ugh.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Evidence for the prosecution: The Stand
    Evidence for the defense: It

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I'm indifferent to his baseball stuff, but I have read (and re-read, several times, "Danse Macabre," his rather selective notes toward a history of the horror genre. And "On Writing," of course.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

He won an O. Henry for a story about a boy meeting the Devil in the woods. It was called The Man in the Black Suit and it may be the best short story I've read.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, seriously? I'll be on line the first night for that. Slater is the perfect Dolan. Between this and his new NBC series, maybe there's hope for him to reverse his slide into straight-to-DVD hell.

10. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

Some of my favorites ...
    The Shining, Needful Things, The Tommyknockers, It, Everything's Eventual, The Dead Zone, Misery, On Writing, The Colorado Kid

Ones to finish ...
    The Stand, 'Salem's Lot

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I haven't read any of King's stuff in some time although the wife just got The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon from my aunt.

Probably the last book of his I read was The Tommyknockers. I thought the plot was ridiculous but he's such a great storyteller that I read the whole thing in less than a week.

I think King has a great rock and roll book in him somewhere. His Playboy story (from back in 1982, I believe) on the death of rock and roll on AM radio was tremendous.

I didn't finish his baseball book on the Sox World Series year. Dreck.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Why would you buy it at the record store?

Draft saved Draft deleted