1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

stephen hawking: the afterlife does not exist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, May 16, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Not every person believes that vitriol, not in the least. Even if you do think it, it doesn't mean you actually believe it.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'll take indulgences for $500.00, Pope.

3. Isn't that a hypothesis?
    In the absence of knowledge we strive to learn more.

FWIW: I don't need to fill a void. I'm not a guy who questions his own existence and wonders if my life has a meaning or purpose. I am here I am grateful I am here and will enjoy my time. I don't believe in god or the devil or heaven and hell. But I think there is more to life than my years as a earthly human.
    The notion of an afterlife is an intriguing subject and the idea of energy was one that seemed to apply for me.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You said your belief in the afterlife was based on physics. Do you believe this afterlife to be eternal? If so, that does kinda contradict the dominion of the laws of physics in said afterlife.

I brought up the transfer of energy because, in each transfer, some of the energy inevitably gets lost in the form of light and/or heat, thus leaving the system. Given enough time, any system — even the universe, if you're willing to wait a googol years from now — will run out of energy. If this afterlife has always existed and will always exist, it flies in the face of physics.

You are correct that this is all speculation. The difference is that while some people do not believe in religion and all its trappings because of the lack of evidence, others choose to believe in spite of said lack of evidence.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are Evil and I the only two on here that thinks life goes on after we leave this "life?"

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I also believe that, but since I don't have an explanation based on quantum physics I was a bit shy about saying it.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Why does this life need quote marks? Is the life you have not good enough?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Um, there's the guy who mentioned about three times that he's Catholic.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Have you MET Devil?

(Kidding, kidding.)

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Because I was too lazy to type "this phase of our existence."

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. I don't know if I believe if it is eternal or not... Nothing lasts forever, but I think it evolves.
    As someone (BTE?) noted earlier it would be kind of arrogant to expect to retain memories of 70 years of human existence for all eternity.

Draft saved Draft deleted