1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

stephen hawking: the afterlife does not exist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, May 16, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know about the afterlife.

But in this life, you're on your own. And if the elevator tries to bring you down ... Go crazy.

2. I tend to fall into the "no" category, but if the afterlife is a fairly tale, it's often a harmless and comforting one to people. There are far more odious things about religion to be worried about.

I also was puzzled how this became headline news today. The news would have been stunning (and frankly exciting) if Hawking or a scientist of similar fame made the opposite declaration.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If the worst thing organized religion did was sell a belief of an afterlife we would be a lot better off.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think the afterlife might be the only controversial topic I've never seen debated on this site. Probably for the better, arguments tend not to go so well when a sizeable portion are arguing from a position of suppressed terror (even if they care not to admit it).

I'll admit I'm one of those "afraid of the dark", as Hawking put it. So I know which side I want to believe, I just wish there was some sort of stinking evidence to fall back upon.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hawking's theoretical physics have been alternately embraced by deists and atheists over a period of only 20 years.

That's when you know (a) you've really made it or (b) you're full of shit.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

As much as I want to believe in the afterlife, I have a hard time doing so. What fuels this? Mainly a thought I had in fifth grade.

I was in religious class and we were studying ancient religions and the way they pissed off "God" by worshiping a golden calf.

That got me to thinking. While the idea of worshiping a golden calf seems stupid to me now, to the people of that time it made complete and utter sense.

From there, I started thinking about all the customs we have and wondered how they'd be looked at in 200-300 years.

I can't say there's much of a difference.

Also, another thought I've often had. Let's say there is an afterlife. Are there pets there? Sure, everyone might think little Fido or Jewel the cat go to Heaven when they die but what about the everyday rabbit killed in traffic? The ants stepped on by some third grader? The evil shark in the ocean?

If you believe in the afterlife, don't you have to believe that there's an afterlife for all those creatures too? I suppose you could think that humans are just special but, really, what are the odds that there would be one afterlife and just humans are a part of it?

And, lastly, we base almost all of what we know of religion on ancient books written by God through man, right? Well, let's say God decided he wanted to write a sequel today. How would those books be received?

I doubt anyone would seriously consider a new bible written today as factual and would write off anyone crazy enough to say they've talked to God so what makes the guys who wrote thousands of years ago so special? Why should we believe they had actual contact with a deity and that that deity has chosen to go to radio silence ever since?

These are the reasons I can't believe there actually is an afterlife. But I don't begrudge anyone who does believe in one. Heck, I hope there is one. The thought of fading to black with nothing else ever creeps me out beyond belief.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Regardless of what the latest topic is, I have always found it odd that a "theoretical" physicist/cosmologist that can't even communicate by himself gets credit for being the smartest mofo on the planet. You can't prove anything he says outside of a lab. It's theory.

"We got teams of guys just sitting around thinking shit up" and one dude comes along to tell us about black holes. Pretty good gig if you can get it, I guess.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Wow. Stay classy.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's the Book of Mormon, right?

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Is there something factually incorrect with the statement?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course not. Just as there's nothing factually incorrect with the statement that the Paralympics are all about people who can't even walk for themselves.

It might be true, but that doesn't mean it's not a shitty, pointless thing to say.

12. When it comes to this kind of stuff I don't have a lot of faith in Hawking.

My belief in (some type of) afterlife is based on the laws of phsyics: Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred from one state to another.

Draft saved Draft deleted