1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen Colbert is amazing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 24, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is very possible that:
    A - Colbert's appearance was in bad taste
    B - brought needed attention to the issue
    C - Made Congress look bad
    D - Made Colbert look bad
    E - Was funny as hell
    F - All of the above.

I'm going with F.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Memo to the mainstream Washington punditocracy having the vapors about Colbert's appearance before Congress:
    Are you deliberately trying to prove that all the smack the Palins, Becks and Bachmanns of the world talk about you being out of touch is TRUE?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A more serious take on what Colbert was talking about, if you'd like:
    http://hosted2.ap.org/apdefault/8d5fb9cb2a7b4f14a5db7f73d5f27bd6/Article_2010-09-27-US-Immigration-Jobs/id-847b0de93b284aa8a6c4e0ae17a155c0

The story talks about the difficulty of getting Americans to work farm jobs. There is a chicken-and-egg argument that comes up when people start talking about farms not using guest-workers programs or other means to advertise for jobs. On the one hand, farmers might prefer having a cheap workforce it can more easily exploit. On the other hand, they might not use other means because they have to get a lot of workers at a certain time in a hurry, and they can't wait around for programs to attract people who aren't already attracted to farm work.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Heck, Casey Stengel once testified before a Congressional committee, and they had no clue what he was talking about.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The irony is astounding.

Yeah, I want Chuck Todd to tell me what to think.

Not in this life.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Being more educated on a given subject than most Americans are - that hardly makes you an expert.
    It's still a marketing schtick. I understand why Colbert did it - exposure for his show.
    I just find it laughable when people start heaping praise.
    And again I provide the caveat that I have heard or read his comments from the hearing.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted