1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen Colbert is amazing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 24, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Tempest, meet teapot

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Are comedians the best the left can do for heroes these days?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lawrence O'Donnell & Jonathan Allen (Politico) saying that he brought more attention to himself than the issue.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least they are funny comedians, unlike Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Something weird in the DC political/media class: They are like a drunk taking offense to Foster Brooks routines.

6. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anybody who has this outlook on how we treat people should be a hero ...

8. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

And might I add, YF, that Stephen Colbert does not work for the Democratic Party and as such bears no responsibility to advance 'their cause' in any election.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

More of that religious stuff. We need to leave that out of our political discourse.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's why I'm providing the caveat.
    I don't care what someone with no connection to the immigration issue thinks about the issue just because the person expressing the opinion has some level of fame. I don't care what Bob Dylan thinks about the issue, either. Or what the ghost of Thurman Munson thinks about it. I'm not interested in their opinions, even though I'm a fan of their work.

As for the political media being in an uproar about it, cry me a river. That's nothing but fear of irrelevance masquerading as indignation.
    Two generations get more of their politcal information from Jon Stewart and Colbert than Meet the Press, Chris Matthews, the NYT and the Washington Post combined. I find that alarming, but I'm not naive enough to think that Matthews' concern is a legitimate one about a growing number of voters who equate feeling superior because they get a joke with being informed. He's just worried about what could represent his declining relevance and influence.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great call, Bob.

I actually have a section in the book that refers to this. George Roy Hill ripped apart a couple of LA Times critics he felt were hypocritical in their reviews of "Slap Shot." Mainly, in this section, I let the words of director George Roy Hill speak for themselves:

The director argued that what really bothered the critics is that the supposed violence and the dirty language was being shown and heard out of its accepted realm, in much the same way that Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken was upset by Ned Braden's striptease. "It is their sense of place that is offended; a convention has been flouted," Hill wrote. "To McCracken a hockey rink is a place for brawling and a little hockey playing, not for skating about in one's underwear, just as to our critics language acceptable in a locker room is simply not acceptable on the screen. In Slap Shot all we did was decide . . . that if we were satirizing a particular subculture in our society, we should use the language of that subculture. Simple as that."

His film's violence, he insisted, was depicted as "outright farce" and suggested this may have been why the critics were offended. "They like their violence slow and serious, not fast and hilarious; laughter is the one thing violence and supermacho cultists cannot withstand. And laughter is what Slap Shot is getting, lots of it. There is no question that our two critics' moral outrage, like McCracken's, is perfectly genuine, but, alas, like McCracken, if they haven't gotten the joke by this time they probably never will."

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was half-expecting a Congressman to say: "Mr. Colbert, YOU cannot make a mockery of this legislative body. Only WE can make a mockery of this legislative body."

We've got anchor-babies, muslims, FEMA detention centers, socilism, death panels, not to mention God knows how many declarations honoring the 45th anniversary of the Nursing Hall of Fame or the local team that won a generic national crossword puzzle contest, but no - Colbert is the problem? I don't know if they are upset that Colbert upstaged them or set the bar to high for future theatrics.

Draft saved Draft deleted