1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen Colbert is amazing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 24, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Right, the ole "more important" card.

Played when Elmo testified before Congress, right?

Played when the Jonas Brothers testified before Congress, right?

Played when Dennis Quaid testified before Congress, right?

Played when Clint Eastwood testified before Congress, right?

Colbert had a lot more words of substance to say in 10 minutes today than most politicians do in a lifetime.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The hearing was an issue of importance -- illegal immigration and American jobs. If Colbert gets people to talk about it in a meaningful way, all the better. Let's face it, this is a hearing that would have drawn flies otherwise.

Sad to say, many people who have shown up as "serious" have said far more ridiculous things in front of a Congressional committee. Or should I say, most people who have shown up as "serious" have said far more ridiculous things in front of a Congressional committee.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure there is no one else more qualified to speak on the topic of immigration than a comedian with his own TV show.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It was a disaster.

His "routine" was met with stone faces from the sub-committee.

He made a mockery of the process and he embarrassed the Dems.

Expect to see Republicans use this against them in the campaign.

They can't even propose a budget? They can't schedule a vote on the extending the Bush tax cuts? But you have time for this?

Fiddling, burning, etc.

Well done.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If the Congress needs a fucking clown in order to get the country to pay attention to the shiny objects we need to deal with -- Heaven help us. The f'ing Chinese can't invade fast enough.

This stunt absolutely f'ing infuriates me to no end.

Time to vote them all, every last one of them, out.

Where's the nearest tea party? I think I'm going to attend.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Eastwood held an elected office, even though it was a low-level one; however, I didn't pay attention to his testimony before Congress. I didn't even know he testified.
    Same is true of all of the others you mentioned.

The issue is not one of celebrity, at least for me.
    I watched the baseball hearings because the players, although celebrity, have a reason to be there. There's a realistic expectation that they could offer some insight.
    Colbert has no expertise of which I'm aware in the area of immigration.
    I don't blame the guy for taking the chance to boost his show, but I'm sure he's not laboring under the delusion that his participation was in some way substantive.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As for whether Colbert is drawing attention to an issue that has been labroing (no pun intended) in obscurity, why don't you do a LexusNexis search about immigration. It's been a hotly debated topic for this decade and well beyond.
    You had kids staging school walkouts multiple times in the past decade. This is not some opbscure topic that's been ignored until Colbert showed up.

8. TheSportsPredictor

Colbert did more good today than most of these blowhard politicians have done in years. There was no mockery made of anything by his appearance.

9. TheSportsPredictor

Nobody said he was bringing attention to an ignored topic. The hearing would have been mostly ignored had he not been there.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why don't we invite a comedian to testify every week so we can boost CSPAN's ratings?

Next week Jerry Seinfeld can testify about Airplane food.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People of all walks of life testify in front of Congressional committees all the time, entertainers should be no different. But it does amaze me that they invited Colbert in - he's the ultimate Trojan horse.

It reminds me of the first time I heard of what was going on in Darfur - George Clooney was talking about it on CNN.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Most likely Seinfeld wouldn't have anything of substance to say.

Colbert was invited because he did. And he said it.

Draft saved Draft deleted