1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen Ambrose made up hundreds of hours of conversations with Ike

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Small Town Guy, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Whom do you trust? Goodwin, after her book on the Dodgers? Not in this life.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Are there any pop-historians without similar scandals? Do they all just make things up?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mo Rocca seems to have his act together...

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Mitchener

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Manchester?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Death of a President was picked apart with malicious fervor.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hence the question mark.. thanks.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Haven't heard anyone knock McCullough's work. And I know Doug Brinkley is an academic, but he writes well enough to be a pop-historian. Also enjoy Geoffrey Ward's stuff, The Civil War, his book on New York and the one on The West were quite good.
    I'm reading a book on The Oregon Trail, a nice summary of the era, but I've learned the difference between academic works and pop-history is generally, academic works use the history to advance a thesis or new understanding of what the history meant, while pop historians aim to entertain and illuminate.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I recently read an academic history of California in the 1950s, and boy was that a slog. Pop history is a helluva lot more fun to read.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Was it a Kevin Starr book? Carey McWilliams is also a great source for California history. I've liked Starr's books because they focus on culture as much as they do on business and politics.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Kevin Starr. His random use of exclamation points made me giggle. The biography of the Beach Boys, The Nearest Faraway Place, covered much the same ground in a much more readable way

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

McCullough has been accused of being a tad hagiographic, but I've liked what I've read, which is only two or three books.

Draft saved Draft deleted