1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. threatens Durant: "You don't want to make an enemy out of me."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 5, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is one of those things that I really can't understand: How can people be so clueless about how good even mediocre top-flight athletes are? My best friend played very low-tier D1 basketball as a point guard, and his older brother was a 4th-round pick and made it to AA as a shortstop. Even in their 50s they're ridiculously good athletes, and they were absolute nobodies. To play a decade or so in the NBA? Are you kidding me?

YankeeFan and studthug12 like this.
  2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And its right to reproduce ...

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Forget where I saw the link to this before, but the caption was 'Steven A goes Tony Soprano on Durant.'

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Perhaps but Jalen is still very good on the Grantland Basketball Hour. Well, was. He and what's his name -- brain fart -- were a good combo.

5. Songbird

Bill Simmons. (stinky brain fart)

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are 2 of the most unlikeable, pompous asses on the planet.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm going to defend a little bit SAS, in part because I think a celebrity worship of a different kind is going on here.

Kevin Durant called SAS a liar. Well, he said he's lying. That is, SAS made up sources and made up the story.

Journalists do not like being called liars. Ever. I can just imagine how the good folks at Deadspin would react to being called liars, since they react with such great comportment to every other criticism of them. So, on some level, I get that reaction. You get called a liar, and you're quite sure you're not lying, that's not a good feeling.

Especially when it comes from Durant, who's decided to try on being an imperious asshole for awhile. It's not a good look for him - he's too direct in his words to do it the way trained, lifelong, condescending assholes (usually baseball players, in my experience) do it. And whether we or not we like SAS - whether or not most writers think he's gone too much over to provocateur or whatever - he has long history of relationships and influence in the NBA.

I read SAS to be hurt in that moment on TV. Hurt bleeding over into mad. Now, look, I appreciate that there's something ridiculous about that.

But columnists/opinion-makers in sports have long had egos the size of Neyland Stadium. This isn't new.

Tweener likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe he should try being a journalist again, instead of a professional shit-thrower.

He spends all day, every day catering to his own self-importance and the lowest common denominator.

He has ZERO credibility as a journalist. So he can screech all he wants, but attacks on non-existent credibility aren't going to garner any empathy.

Stoney and jr/shotglass like this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

SAS isn't a journalist, he's a WWE character appearing on a Monkeys-Flinging-Feces-On-A-Wall television show.

heyabbott and Stoney like this.
  10. Songbird

We're A LOT fucking cooler than SAS, bub! /Neyland Stadium

[​IMG]

BTExpress likes this.
  11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Hideous.

Go Dawgs!

Draft saved Draft deleted