1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. threatens Durant: "You don't want to make an enemy out of me."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The audience for that show should be stripped of its right to vote, its right to drive, and most of all, its right to use the Internet.

Chef2 and doctorquant like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If I've spent, in aggregate, half an hour watching that show, I'd be surprised. What amazes me is the level of seriousness and indignation those two muster as regards such earth-shattering matters as, e.g., Lebron James' basketball legacy. You look at Bayless and the expression on his face suggests he's either summing up the state's case in a murder trial or plotting out strategy for brain surgery on a child.

SFIND and Stoney like this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's probably big among the frat boys set. Up to what, age 30? 25?

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

People who resort to shouting to get their point across can be dismissed out of hand. Li'l Stevie and Skippy fit that bill.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I watched the Smith rant the other day and thought, at first, it was an SNL skit. Couldn't believe that was for real. Embarrassed for the guy, but he undoubtedly believes every word he's saying.

Now, here's the key: just because it sounded insane doesn't mean he's wrong.

Couple of years ago, a GM candidate told me that he was interviewing for a job with an organization and the owner demanded he meet with two of the city's top columnists before taking the job. He was told, "We need these two guys to buy into what you will do." So, perceived power matters. If people in the NBA perceive Smith as powerful, then he's right to say what he did.

What also matters here is that, at a time when ESPN is drawing a hard line with its talent, it's holding on to Smith/Bayless and promoting SVP. Maybe I shouldn't lump the excellent Van Pelt with the other two, but the organization is making it obvious who is valued. If you're going to let Cowherd/Simmons walk while keeping these guys, there's a reason. That reason is eyeballs. It's not quality. It's what sells.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

What's really sad is that high schoolers or recent HS graduates look at these two as credible and factual. Don't know any better, "I heard on First Take...." they say. That is scary.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. And they'll use any ..any ....any possible excuse to do their overwrought Lebron bits. Lebron can't fart on a Tuesday in August without these mulletheads squealing the next day about what that fart means.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    studthug12 likes this.
  8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Stoney, Did you see that Tebow threw a TD in the preseason. Why didn't he make the roster!!!!????

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Is that franchise a successful one? If they're not, maybe they should stop worrying about the columnists.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep. They were just as nuts with Tebow as Lebron ...and he couldn't even play. I can only imagine the backroom grieving at ESPN on the day Timmy was cut. Their talking head shows lost about a thousand hours of planned future programming on that day.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can't possibly believe this to be true.

The only people who think Smith is "powerful" are the ones who use his overwhelming desire to be a big shot to try to make themselves look good.

Like Floyd Mayweather.

TyWebb likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jalen Rose is a pompous arrogant motherfucker, was never 1/10th the player he thinks he was, and has never hesitated to play the 'i played the game' card against anybody in the media.

But the vast majority of all non-athlete media members make no pretense of having been schoolboy superstars. Skippy did; he was carrying on like he was a crucial all-state component to a prep championship team. Rose quickly dug up the truth, that Bayless had never been more than a marginal starter in HS and had averaged in the low low single digits.

That puts Skippy miles ahead of the usual 300-pound sportswriter who has only ever shot free throws in the driveway, but it leaves him light-years behind Rose, who was a top-20 natiowide-rated prep player and the MVP of a state championship title team.

Draft saved Draft deleted