1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith talking politics on Larry King

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Nov 4, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

AN-dre IG-uo-DA-la for U.S. Senate!

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

LMAO. That's so true.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

When I saw him on Larry King's "panel", my reacton was that the producers of Larry King's show must be haveing genuine difficulty getting "real knowledgeable people" to return their phone calls these days...

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

SAS can make sense randomly and that's fine. But he does not have the CREDENTIAL to be opining on issues outside of sports. Might as well grab anyone off the street who happens to fit your preferred demographic.

Saw SAS recently on a CNN panel during "Your Money," a Saturday personal-finance show that I used to like. Won't watch it now. If that's their idea of expert opinion, then they've got nothing for me worth heeding.

Did they cut some deal with SAS that they're now having him "work off?" At least that would be a bad reason to have him on, only slightly more legit than a notion that he "has his audience." Get the sense, though, that CNN thinks he "speaks" for some segment of the audience. Which is highly suspect.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are those who like way SAS has to say. If a reformed druggie like Beck or a nut case like Palin can have an audience, so can SAS.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

He can have his audience. I just won't be part of it. Plenty of others I know won't, either.
    I'd have more of a problem with this if it were PBS or NPR, receiving all those gov't funds. :)
    Here, let the marketplace decide.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Not a big Screamin' A. fan, but I see nothing wrong with him venturing into politics. Being versatile is a gift in this business - I like to think I'm equally credible as both a sports and news guy, having worked in both areas. Each helps lend a little perspective to the other.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Cept he's not. SAS's credibility outside of the NBA is nonexistant.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

SAS is free to say what he wants. He's no worse than other ass wipes on TV. Beck is a reformed druggie and people think he makes sense. Nuff said.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So everyone's opinion should be granted the same weight as everyone else's? Stephen A. Smith = David Gregory? Because, after all, he is "free to say what he wants."

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's an opinion. It's like a nose. Everyone has one.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is a difference between an informed opinion and an uninformed one.

I understand that Stephen A. has the right to spout.

But I have the right to dismiss anything he says because he has not built up the credibility, to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted