1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith Speaks Out On ESPN Cancellation And Buzz Dissinger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by phawker, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The question wasn't whether or not SAS could adequately conduct a television interview. The point is that the people who enjoy his work tuned in expecting something different, and the people who despise his work were never going to give him credit for presenting a show that they otherwise might admire.
    That's where ESPN whiffed with this show.
    As for the person who suggests "angry minority" is too prevalent on TV, are you saying you're cool with angry white guys? Cause there sure are a lot of them on the tube, and we don't hear you complaining.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Actually, I can't stand listening to any angry, loud-mouthed commentators. No matter what color, gender, political belief, etc.

3. writer200707

writer200707 New Member

In all seriousness, this guy was one of the worst in the entire business.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's cool, Phawker. I js thought your headline oversold the content of Stephen A's response a bit.

If you need a Dickhead for Dummies cheat sheet, we can help.

Oh, and who said anything about underpants?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Actually, Phawker's Web site does show that, while design isn't a panacea, bad design can hurt credibility. Notice the way the type touches the photo. Notice the too-long headlines, like a hick weekly. The whole effect says, "Amateur!" When something looks like a ransom note, readers conclude that the content is going to be amateurish, too.

Of course Phawker could clean up the design and there'd still be the problem of calling Bissinger "Dissinger" at least twice -- and he hasn't fixed it even after being mocked here.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Dog with a bandaged hind leg walks into a cowboy bar. Says to the bartender, "I'm looking for the man who shot my paw!"

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

How can we forget the "Magic Hour!?!?
    Magic Johnson and Sheena Easton?
    That was possibly the worst show in the history of television.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

SAS's show was not compelling, as the ratings suggest. If people really 'hated' him so much, they would have watched the show so they could poke fun at him, etc. But they didn't 'hate' him, they simply didn't care. That's the death of any television show.

I despise 'wolf - cryers' and phonies of any race or creed. SAS fits this profile. The reason you don't hear me complaining is because this thread is not about any of them. If you've read any of my stuff ripping the likes of Ric Bucher, Mike Lupica, or Mitch Albom, you would know that. This thread is about SAS's failure, and that's why I comment about him here. Stop being so defensive. I'm an equal-opportunity loser-basher.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Arsenio Hall?

[​IMG]

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Great job, fishwrapper. Can anyone dig up an old pic of Lupica's failed ESPN show?

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sorry, Mr. Bacon, you're still a pledge. You don't get to draw the line. Generally, though, you'll be asked to buy exotic beers for the board veterans. Make mine a St. Pauli Girl.

As for the person-of-color-with-his-own-show thing ... does Wilbon count? Or is he dq'd for sharing the show with Korn and LBT? How about Stewey? Judge Mathis? Oh, and I could have gone all day without being reminded of Oprah. If I never even think of her again, it'll be too soon.

12. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

So a lot of us hate SAS. His comment on Shawne Merriman's steriod suspension sold it for me. He's a trainwreck on a lot of things, very solid on others. He said on Merriman he understood why he took steroids, almost accepting it.

Oh, that and the show with the WWE wrestlers. Great way to prove your a credible interviewer. I was expecting to see midget wrestlers the next day, but apparently they weren't available.

Sure he had good guests too, but when you're on ESPN, the guests are gonna come no matter who you are. The network has the ties to book anyone, and make a news story out of just talking to said person. Talking to Brett Favre super bowl week comes to mind last year. No real news other then they talked to him, and they sold it for a good 2 days.
    I wasn't a fan of SAS, but I enjoyed the show two live stews. Sure they yell a lot, aka the angry minority commentators, but they didn't take themselves too seriously and the show had that "underground sports" feel to it. They had em on Cold Pizza a while back, but if ESPN was smart they'd be looking at picking up their show again.

Draft saved Draft deleted