1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith Speaks Out On ESPN Cancellation And Buzz Dissinger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by phawker, Jan 12, 2007.

1. phawker

phawker New Member

http://www.phawker.com/?p=1399

2. The Basement

The Basement Member

"Now I move on to future challenges — while enthusiastically embracing old ones like writing for the Inquirer on a more frequent basis"

Oh yes, that ::)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

that the best you got, phawker?

4. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Stephen A. as an NBA analyst works for me...Stephen A. with his own show trying too hard to be Stephen A. didn't. And yes, more time at the Inquirer.

5. boots

boots New Member

Quite Frankly I'm surprised they didn't pull the plug earlier. I shed no tears for SAS. He's still making a lot of money. Whether or not he deserves it is another topic.

6. Damn right, Ace.

First of all, Phawker, you dipshit, it's Bissinger. If you can't get the name of a two-time Pulitzer winner and author of a best seller right, you shouldn't go bragging about your "coup" on a sports journalism website.

Second, you didn't get anything from SAS. I'm going to give SAS a little credit here for dodging the question. Maybe someone with a little more journalistic clout than Phawker will get SAS to talk about what Buzz wrote. I just wonder if SAS will be writing more because maybe The Inquirer told him that he had to.

Now, dry up and blow away, Phawker.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Phawker, where the hell does he respond to Buzz?

Claiming that he responded to the "Buzz Slap" with this Blackbery message is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point Smith's rambling, incoherent response was he even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

8. statrat

statrat Member

Blogs! Blogs! Blogs! That said, I didn't find that very enlightening. And Ike, I believe "Dissinger" is a bad pun on "Bissinger" as in "Bissinger dissed SAS." I'm assuming that being that its right on other areas of the site. Welcome to the board guys, now start fetching beers.

9. phawker

phawker New Member

Asked him to confirm and elaborate on the reason for the cancellation and afforded him an opportunity to respond to Bissinger's swipe. And that's all he wrote -- from his Blackberry, no less. It's a talking dog story, the news isn't what the dog said, it's that he talked at all.

Phawker

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Is ESPN2 going with dead air? Color bars? Suzanne Somers infomercials?
    Any of it would be a step up from a contrived, formulaic show framed around a personality and not news or entertainment.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ruff!

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sorry, that's not news.
    News would have been a quote from ESPN programming (and not a press release).
    News would have given us the number of months the show was on the air.
    News would have given us numbers (or lack of them).
    News would have given us replacement show(s).
    News is a framework, a complete report. A responsibility.

News is not someone's "thumbed" response.

Draft saved Draft deleted