1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith returns to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So SAS is going to do his NY and LA shows from 1 location, right? He's not going to jet back and forth each day the way that one disc jockey did between Chicago and Dallas (IIRC)?

Why this urgency to have him working both coasts, two jobs? He's that good? No other host would do? All of us in flyover regions can thank them, but still.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

The biggest question is the over and under of how long will he be working there? I say 18 months.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

His only talent is the ability to keep getting hired.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One prime definition of insanity is to keep trying the same thing, while somehow expecting a different result.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Bet the people who hire him pat themselves on the back for getting such a buzz-creator and then never, ever, listen to, watch or read his work.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

AMEN!

7. beanpole

beanpole Member

I appreciate the public service announcement in the news release. Now I know when to avoid those stations.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Fixed.

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

He can't be any worse than Rob Parker, and that's saying a lot considering SAS's beauty of a debut: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=smith_stephen&id=6102117

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

SAS's problem is that he is limited in knowledge of all sports. He knows basketball but knows little about football and is totally clueless about baseball. And I haven't gotten into other sports such as soccer and hockey and tennis. It's nice to see that he's found a good gig but he's not an authority on sports and should stop perpetrating himself as one. It's embarrassing on so many fronts.

Draft saved Draft deleted