1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith returns to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Feb 1, 2011.

1. dcdream

dcdream Member

"Stephen A. Smith is returning to ESPN as a local radio host and ESPN.com columnist," the network announced late Tuesday.

"Smith will host a pair of two-hour, weekday local radio shows — one airing on 1050 ESPN (WEPN-AM) in New York from 7-9 p.m. ET and another on 710 ESPN (KSPN-AM) in Los Angeles from 6-8 p.m. PT. Both shows will focus on local sports topics, with a concentration on the NBA on game nights (1050 ESPN is the flagship station for the Knicks and 710 ESPN for the Lakers). Smith will begin to contribute to both stations this week.

"Smith will also cover NBA All-Star events and The Finals on ESPN Radio. Additionally, Smith will be a featured ESPN.com columnist, writing regularly for ESPNLA.com and ESPNNY.com.

" 'Stephen A. consistently offers strong opinions on a wide variety of topics,' said Norby Williamson, executive vice president, production. 'He has a proven track record as an authoritative voice, which will lead to insightful conversation leading into Knicks and Lakers game coverage.'

The release went on to quote Smith, who left the Philadelphia Inquirer in June after 16 years.

http://mije.org/richardprince/stephen-smith-returning-espn

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fine with me. He can write about basketball quite well when the mood catches him.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Quite frankly if he says off the TV, I'll be alright. Quite frankly, the guy is full of himself.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

How local is a show going to be if the same guy is doing one for New York and LA?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll agree with you on that. If he's writing or talking about the NBA or Philly sports, he's good. Anything beyond that? It's a huge dropoff.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

His radio work is awful, even on the NBA. I don't get how they can think this is a good idea. Kellerman egts run off (flawed as his show was), and we're stuck with many hours a day when the station is simply not an option (SAS, Cowherd, Rangers hockey).

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

You can find Kellerman on ESPN's LA affiliate ... and now you can find Smith there, too.

Quality decibels ... er, programming.

9. nmsports

nmsports Member

Nothing gets me to turn the dial quicker than SAS.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Kellerman is doing a new regular show with Marcellus Wiley now in LA. I think that show was supposed to be Jalen Rose and Mariotti, until, well, you know.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't possibly explain how giddy that pairing makes me.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If this keeps him off CNN or other news programs where SAS was positioned to give political views or financial advice, I'm all for it. He's easier to avoid on LA and NY radio and can do less harm.

Draft saved Draft deleted