1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith: Outcome?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Sep 9, 2007.

?

Stephen A. Smith: Likeliest outcome?

1. Accepts sports GA role

6.7%
  2. Tells Inky to stick it, leaves

28.9%
  3. Makes Inky sweat, lawyers up, seeks $ to go

57.8%
  4. Lawyers up, gets column back

6.7%
  1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I believe he's covering Mary-Beth King's sorority beer-pong league.

2. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Update - looks like Stephen A. is lawyering up.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/media_people/stephen_a_smith_is_on_the_legal_warpath_68717.asp

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/features/20071010_Dan_Gross___Clayton_Morris_leaving_Fox_29.html

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Could you imagine calling in a prep result and have SAS scream at you "34 percent from the field? That is ATROCIOUS! An Outrage!

4. boots

boots New Member

Stephen A. "officially" is still a part of the Inquirer staff. He is still taking "days off" that are owed to him.
    If he does come back, he will probably be the highest paid sports general assignment reporter in the country. Because of union rules, his pay wouldn't decrease.
    If it's just for the paycheck, Stephen A. returns. If it's for the prestige, he says see-ya. He doesn't need the Inquirer to live.

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

pretty funny

6. markvid

markvid Guest

And by the same token, I don't think the circulation of the Inky goes down without him.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed, Mark. SAS is a basketball aficionado, and mediocre on any other topic. And last I checked, the NBA/Sixers are behind the Phillies, Eagles and possibly Penn State in the Philly sports lexicon.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, I will say this, given the fact that he's so good on NBA topics (and he is), it's jarring to me to see him talk about MLB< NHL, etc.
    Just like trying to listen to Mike Golic talk about anything but NFL. Just doesn't seem right.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I prefer the Medevenko 7th circle of hell call, mehself...

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn, boots.

11. boots

boots New Member

Not learning other sports hurt Stephen. There's no question he has great sources in the NBA. And over the years, his NFL sources improved. However, he didn't know didly about MLB or the NHL or college sports, which is ironic because he did a good job covering Temple.
    SAS is a media talent. Don't worry about him. He's going to be fine. Trust me on that one.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't think he's not learned other sports.
    I think it's that being an NBA expert take away from his credibility on the other ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted