1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith new low

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Nov 25, 2009.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

That guy is about the biggest joke in the business...crazy. Talk about a "Look-at-me" guy...just what you want in a reporter...geesh.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sounds like a tranny site, actually.

A tree fall in a forest when no one's there, and nobody cares . . .

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

Depends in which context Iverson gave him the letter. If he was doing Smith a favor as a friend, it doesn't necessarily belong to the Inquirer.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Sounds to me as though he tried to do right by his employer and got kicked in the nuts anyway. I'm not much of a Stephen A. fan in general, but I've got no problem with his handling of this.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen the Richard Prince item posted here by ReyHeath. If that's correct and Smith brought the story to the Inquirer first, and they declined to run it, then he's in the clear in my book.

Ridiculous shenanigans on all sides there, for letting the Smith situation get to this point and now for the handling of it going forward.

Maybe the next paper will think twice before it lets itself get used and abused by a staffer who needs a platform to get better/bigger gigs and make things all about him/her.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Given the Richard Prince item, perhaps a thread head change is in order.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I dunno, his website design is pretty ugly

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's a weird story all around, but if he offered it to them, and they turned it down, that's their bad. I'm certainly not a Stephen A. guy, but he did his job on this (it sounds like) and they screwed it up.

9. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

That was my thought as well, but I decided to just put the information out there and see what happened.

10. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Please change the header on this thread because it is obviously incorrect. We now know the Inky turned the story down when SAS presented it to them. Their bag!

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Several things are in play.
    First, Richard Prince's stuff is solid.
    Second, SAS hasn't and won't agre to the Inky terms.
    Third, It's not surprising that AI broke his "retirement" to SAS, whom he considers a friend.
    Fourth, For some strange reason, SAS believes the people of Philadelphia misses him from the sports pages. While many do, especially with basketball, his lack of knowledge on other sports hurt him as a columnist. Phil Jasner of the Philadelphia Daily News said it better than anyone else has: "I liked him better when he was just Stephen Smith."

12. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Drip you are dry :D

Draft saved Draft deleted