1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A.'s take on Fantasy Football- only white nerds play

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ashy Larry, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Sorry if this is a DB.

Stephen A. chimes in on fantasy football, says it's for white nerds and blacks and latinos don't play because they have better things to do.

But honestly, I'm not surprised to learn that so few blacks are among the 30 million people who participate in fantasy sports. I've always thought that a lot of these guys (and 96% of them are guys) are nerds desperately in need of more sociable leisure-time activities. Leisure time for black folks historically consists of direct interaction, the kind of experience you get at a family barbecue or hanging out with friends. Sitting in front of a computer screen pretending to be Bill Parcells? Sounds like work to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3556641

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Better things to do?

Let me use a broad-based brush as he did....

... like blow out the windows on houses in a neighborhood with bass-sodden shit music?

.... like tug every 21 seconds at the beltloops of pants that are at anus level?

Oh, this racist shit is FUN, Screamin.....

3. That is just silly.

I play fantasy football with my friends precisely for the reason that we have something to get us together (the draft) and talk about throughout the fall. Sounds like "direct interaction" to me.

4. Stupid premise.

Fantasy football is for losers of all races, colors and creeds.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I'm going to a BBQ tomorrow, it's gonna be so weird to interact with people in person.....we normally only email or IM each other, like all white folks do.

6. Fantasy sports are attractive for the same reason gambling is - it makes the games just a little bit more interesting on Sunday because you have a personal investment.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Speaking for myself, I can say I definitely have lost more than I have won in life.

So, you are correct as it pertains to this player of one NL league and one NFL league.

8. Simon_Cowbell

That, and it does foster some friendly communication.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does ESPN have any editorial control?

Well, at least he didn't mention Hitler.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nobody gives a fuck about Screaming A Smith. Or his thought's about fantasy teams. Or your fantasy team.

Here endeth the lesson.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Guess A did not ask any MLB players. Its a huge deal to pass the time in off season.

Fun story in todays Times :

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/sports/football/31fantasy.html?_r=1&ref=football&oref=slogin

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

NERDS!

Draft saved Draft deleted