1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephanie Miller on MSNBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, May 1, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yep. I like Franken, but he was not so good on the radio

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

He's no good off the radio either. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I'm glad he's on 'my' side, politically, but if he were a conservative I would think he was a total d*ck. He definitely has that personality, IMO

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Rights fees. Yes.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Steph uses "We're Not Gonna Take It" just like Rush uses the Pretenders' "My City Was Gone" — an interesting title.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And I know you would.

7. And the drug-addled sex tourist is using it despite the fact that Chrissie Hynde asked him to stop.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, any station playing music not in the public domain, which essentially is any non-classical work, has to pay music licensing fees to ASCAP/BMI/SESAC. The way I understand it, it's a combination of usage and audience. The licensing folks will sample random programming, see how much music you use (and what songs you use), factor in ratings and go from there.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

And I suspect there must be some threshhold the show won't go over so as not to be subject to the fees.

It simply doesn't make sense --- from a cost-benefit perspective --- to pay a bunch of money just so you can play 12 seconds of ABBA's "Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie (a man after midnight)" when coming back from a commercial break 2-3 times per month.

I can see them paying for the Twisted Sister intro each hour, but little if nothing else.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's not actually Jones (Miller's syndicator) that has to pay the licensing fees, IIRC, it's the individual stations. As I understand it, the licensing firms charge each station a set rate, then they use some formula to determine how much each song author gets. You're not actually paying the publisher.

There's been a lot of talk about how much of a racket ASCAP/BMI are, but that's another topic all together.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

We get Steph's show on the AA affiliate here in LA. Listen to it all the time driving into work. Best show on that station.

The AA affiliate here has a few good local folks on, specifically Johnny Wendell, who works Saturday and Sunday afternoons. He's awesome; should have a regular weekday spot. Problem with that station is it has the range of a Daisy air rifle -- as opposed to the 50,000-watt Clear Channel blowtorch (KFI) that airs sieg heil on your dial from 9-3 PT every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted