1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stem Cells -- Now With 100 Percent Fewer Embryos!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Would that I looked so dreamy There's nothing resembling a pink polo on that guy!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Anti-stem cell research does not mean pro-life. They're not protesting the destruction of the embryos. They are just trying to block the research.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But Fenian said pro-life activists are medievalist god-botherers and you said that was a fine characterization.

If you want to focus on the people fighting this fight, that's fine. But his statement was a very broad one, which was way over the top.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are giving me credit for far too good of a memory.

Your last post answered my more serious question. I got the impression that he has more of an issue with the people opposing stem-cell research than he does with anti-abortion movement. Perhaps I read his post wrong.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A poster like Fenian has a better control over words than to say "pro-life activists" when he means "stem-cell research opponents."

6. Quod scripsi, scripsi.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

All of the government funded ones? I think, contrary to the caricature you like to pretend to believe, everyone realizes thet can't change the actions of private citizens, so on both ends, the battleground is where public funds go.

8. So privatized murder is OK by you?

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It works for Blackwater, I mean Xe.

10. Guy_Incognito

No, though I personally don't call it murder. What would you suggest they do about it though?

11. Just what they're doing now.
    Send the clumps of cells to laboratories for stem-cell research.
    It's better than dumping little snowflake womb babies down the drain, which is the current alternative.

12. Guy_Incognito

Not the IVF clinics, the protesters. If the clinic is privately owned, their hands are tied. As taxpayers, they have a right to voice their opinion on how government money is spent, ,so that's where the debates are fought.

Draft saved Draft deleted