1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steinbrenner -- nice vs. truth

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoos3725, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There was also that little issue about the Trickiest of the Dickiest . . .

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Rose obits aren't likely to be kind. Steinbrenner, for all the bombast and suspension from baseball, at least had his many charitable efforts. I have never heard of Pete Rose silently or unsilently donating large sums of money to anything.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Advantage, Rose: hot Asian girlfriend.

[​IMG]

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Interesting topic and a valid criticism. I hate these obit stories because they invariabky are one-sided. I know no one wants to bad mouth someone who just kicked the bucket, but a little balance would be nice. Too bad Billy Martin had to go before George did.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Billy Martin was a mean-spirited, bigoted, drunk with no redeeming qualities.

Georeg Steinbrenner was a bully, a loud-mouth and ruled by fear. Away from his businesses, he was a generous, charming guy who gave away millions of dollars to people in need.

There is no comparison between the two.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This made me laugh thinking about Hitler authoring one of those "How to Win in the Game of Life" books every coach with a ring ends up writing. Looking over some of Hitler's quotes I realized they could have easily come from a Lombardi or Parcells.

It is not truth that matters, but victory.

Strength lies not in defence but in attack.

Success is the sole earthly judge of right and wrong.

The art of leadership... consists in consolidating the attention of the people against a single adversary and taking care that nothing will split up that attention.

The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

George Steinbrenner's and Pete Rose's circumstances are not comparable.
    One was a crime.
    One was a crime against baseball.
    It's odd the the latter is considered more serious.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I have a feeling that when Pete kicks it, there are going to be a lot of reports and evidence - valid or not - that he also bet on his team to lose. Add in the current "corked bat" rumblings, and his legacy may be about as dirty as Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens once he's gone and unable to defend himself.

But hey, at least you can pay to meet him at Caesar's Palace every weekend!

As an aside, does it make anyone else feel very, very old that Rose is almost 70 years old?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pete always struck me as one of those guys so determined about the destination, he never enjoyed the journey. Even if he never gambled, I don't see his life being a whole lot different. Hall of Fame or no.
    He would have managed for a couple of years, gotten canned. Bounced between ESPN and The Best Damn Sports Show a couple of times, done some radio.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Mushnick on board:

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/put_rose_in_hall_if_boss_gets_in_EuLPwKpUqggzn0XRDCk6SM#ixzz0xLxmJR9h

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he's wrong, but Phil's going to be disappointed.

12. TheSportsPredictor

Isn't he always disappointed?

Draft saved Draft deleted