1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steinberg’s heroes have always been alcoholic writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's funny: In the two years since that post, I have seen several old acquaintances come clean about their prior alcoholism, including one of the aforementioned bar flies who has been sober for nearly 14 years.

HC likes this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

How strange: They forgot how to spell GUN STORE.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the big drinkers are disguised alcoholics. They organize their life in order to be "big drinkers". They watch the game so they can have a couple beers. They go to the happy hour to have a couple drinks, They host a barbecue on weekends to have drinks with friends. They spend their free time looking for acceptable reasons to socially drink.

But they are not alcoholic but instead just someone who enjoys the occasional drink.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That gun column was all over the place. After saying he despised the gun industry, is he now pissed off that a background check worked and a guy with his record couldn't buy a gun? Is he saying that the gun store would have sold a gun to a Muslim with a record of drinking and spouse abuse, but not to a white guy from Chicago?

5. Will Graham

Will Graham Member

He went into the endeavor thinking his narrative was already finished and then everything changed, but he still had to write something.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I usually have a drink or two a day. Usually just one. Wish it was like four or five or six, though.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm reading The Trip to Echo Spring, by Olivia Laing, right now and this deals with the exact same subject. With the possible exception of the poet John Berryman - who seemed to be particularly inspired while drinking - none of the great writers who were also alcoholics seemed to have great endings. With Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, their drinking directly impacted on their health, their lives, and ultimately, cost the world what probably would have been some great works.

When I was young, I used to think, "Wow. You really have to be damaged to be an artist. It's just part of the price you pay!" Now that I'm older and have seen legions of incredibly damaged people who were in no way artists, I realize how stupid that is.

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

That's only two 20 oz. bottles of straight booze. :eek:

9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I am probably more screwed up than the alcoholics! My dad was/is an alcoholic but I became a journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted