1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steelers cut Joey Porter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Running a Tampa 2 would be ludicrous and antithetical to everything the post-Chuck Noll Steelers are about. Blitzburgh baby!

While Polamalu aggravates me at times with his freelancing, he's the heart and soul of the defense and he needs to be given room to experiment, to blitz, etc. He's definitely an "artiste."

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons I cringed as soon as it became clear Tomlin was going to get the job. That and the fact that the Vikings' pass defense was brutal last year.

I like mentioning it as the post-Noll Steelers. Dungy was first exposed to a lot of the principles that are now the Tampa 2 when he was playing for Noll's Steelers.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That makes him a lock to go to the Giants

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Rooneys also believed Porter would holdout during training camp to force a contract extension.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If you're going to come here and make profound declarations that are so clearly off the mark, I think you should expect to be called on it. Regurgitating this morning's PG in your defense doesn't seem like much of an effort.
    People who follow this team closely knew Porter was a likely cap-casualty before they knew for certain Cowher wouldn't return.

6. outofplace

Twoback, that was a theory, but I believe the departure of Cowher and hiring of Tomlin also had something to do with it. And I have yet to see anything other than your opinion to make me think I'm off the mark at all.

And yes, I cited something in Ed Bouchette's story. He knows this stuff better than you or I or anybody else not in the organization. That's better than your unsubstantiated opinion.

Now please stop being an arrogant prick and leave me to my fanboyish rants, will ya?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure this has as much to do with Tomlin as it does the Steelers being afraid to make the same mistake they made in giving Jason Gildon a contract extension at about the same age. It's not that Porter can't play now, but they might not want to kick themselves two years down the line when he's a salary-cap casualty then.

Besides, he probably would have held out this season to get that extension and become a distraction, thus taking away from his performance on the field.

Just my theory.

8. outofplace

I think that was a big part of it, too. Oh wait. I'm not supposed to give any theories but my own any validity, am I?

Sorry. I failed to follow the Twoback approach to message-board posting.

Draft saved Draft deleted