1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steelers cut Joey Porter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Gotcha.

I was pretty sure you didn't think Porter was a tight end.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

If that happens, I'll pay good money for a picture of you in a Porter jersey. Seahawks fanboy loooooser. :D :D :D

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'd almost do that just to force you to pay money, but I haven't bought a jersey since I was 9 so that is unlikely.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

This just in: The yankees are interested in Porter as a DH.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He's been better than you think and he does a lot more than rush the passer. More importantly, look at the stats from the Steelers' loss to Atlanta last year. Porter missed that game and it showed.

The thing with Porter is he's the perfect fit for that defense. You have to have a playmaker at the right outside linebacker spot to run Dick LeBeau's 3-4. They don't have that now. The Steelers should remember the lesson from when they let Chad Brown get away in the mid-90s and their defense dropped off considerably.

The problem is now this team has holes whether they play the 3-4 or the 4-3. I think they would have been much better off keeping Porter and drafting a top corner like Darrelle Revis than making a more fundamental change.

And frmrsped, you're wrong. Porter talked all the time, no matter who the opponent was. Things were just a little extra ugly between him and the Browns.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I know this is a cap-room move, but I fear losing Porter will really hurt that defense next season.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. Haven't you been paying attention? The Yankees are no longer throwing money at the best available free agents...much to the chagrin of those who declare the Yankees are ruining baseball and to the chargin of those who'd like to see their title drought extend into next decade.

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Now this cut by the Steelers I did not see coming.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Another thing is that this is almost par for the course in the Steelers organization. There's a history of letting LBs go - Levon Kirkland, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Chad Brown, to name a few - because Pittsburgh historically takes a linebacker somewhere in the draft.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

He's from Bakersfield. Wonder how much they're blowing this up.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It will be interesting. We know it will be in full color at least.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Lloyd, Kirkland and Greene were all on the decline. Kirkland's decline came early because he couldn't keep his weight under control.

Brown, however, was hitting his prime and that ended up being a tremendous loss for the Steelers.

I just wonder how much of this is Tomlin wanting to move the team toward the type of defense he wants rather than investing a guy who is a prototypical weak-side outside 3-4 linebacker.

It also won't help to lose one of the team's emotional leaders as they have already lost Cowher. Bettis got a lot of publicity for his locker room presence two years ago, but Porter was every bit as important to that team emotionally.

Draft saved Draft deleted