1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stealthy AP cost cutting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 20, 2016.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

So we have s typical place for PGA events in advance of the final round and today was no exception.

But the AP never intended to move art out of the Byron Nelson today. Or tomorrow, either.

Photo desk in NY told me they've been cut back to art on Thursday (first round) and Sunday (final round).
    "Yeah, I wondered if anybody was going to call about that."

I did. Then I called back and logged a complaint with the main sports desk.
    And on Monday, I'll elevate it to the AP's main sports editor.

And I don't really care much for golf.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

AP has cut back on all editorial budgets because of the coming Summer Olympics ...

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't either. And I am curious. How many web hits will you get for a PGA final round preview of a pedestrian event like the Byron Nelson? Sports Illustrated basically started covering just the majors back in the 80's? I wonder if newspapers should do the same in a post-Tiger world?

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

We started putting non-majors in briefs a few years ago, but used photos to fill out the agate. Guess there's always house ads. Before the past year or so, i could count on one hand the house ads we ran. Not so much anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted