1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stay classy Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

He was there. Saw him sitting next to fellow AOLer Blackistone. Have no idea when he filed. He was still there when I staggered out.

2. AVSE

AVSE Member

that guy's a fucking weasel. It even comes through on TV

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Re: BCS

Interesting that neither Blackistone nor Mariotti had a dateline. I wonder if anyone edits these columns. (I'm guessing not.)

Blackistone's piece showed it was filed at 9 a.m. the next day. It might be that if they tweaked it after posting, it shows the updated time.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mariotti traveled a lot for a big time columnist. The games he skipped were the ones at home.

5. Mizzougrad96

I understand your point, but Jay is a long way from being Lupica. He travels a lot. I'm not going to defend a columnist who rips someone one day and then doesn't show up the next day to face everyone, but there are a ton of columnists who don't show up unless they're writing and on some level I understand that.

I'm sure he's done it, but Jay never struck me as a "writing from the couch" columnist the way some are.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Not a "writing from the couch" columnist, but not a "reporting from the clubhouse" columnist, either.

I'm more bugged by that trait -- not doing your own legwork or dealing with people who might make it tough for you -- than I am the notion of making yourself an easy target after the fact. No writer who has work elsewhere, or a day off coming, should feel obliged to just "show up" so a column subject can personally confront him or her.

If the writer is doing the job right, he can say he did his fact-finding up front and then was dealing in opinion. And his work will invariably bring him back around to the same folks for future topics. But showing up "the next day" as a pinata? Gimme a break.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Uh, uh. . . but his record in dealing with the White Sox on their turf tells you all you need to know.

One-way mutha' . . .

8. Mizzougrad96

I've always gotten the sense that very, very few Chicago columnists go to White Sox games on a consistent basis.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It remains a delight how Eddie got caught consistently and repeatedly on the wrong side of the South Side in '05.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

That's just not true. Remember, Ozzie and Lou are around to fill the notepads.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can't get great quotes from Ozzie, you're comatose.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Mariotti = tool.

Actually, an entire 52-piece toolbox from Sears.

Mariotti can't carry Ebert's laptop.

They're alike in one way: Neither one works the locker room.

Draft saved Draft deleted