1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stay classy Mariotti

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

When JM wrote about the BCS title game, he did so from home (well, at least there was no dateline on the story) and still didn't post until 4:30 a.m. Eastern, almost five hours after the game ended. No frenzy there .........

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

At least he didn't take credit for Obama's presidency. Oh wait...

"I also couldn't help but think back to '04, when Obama might have lost the U.S. Senate race in Illinois had Mike Ditka chosen to run. I was among those who suggested Ditka shouldn't run because he'd be faced with intense scrutiny in his personal and professional life. If Ditka had run, maybe Hillary would be president today. Or Ditka."

(If he, or anyone, thinks Ditka had a snowball's chance of winning that election...)

3. bp6316

bp6316 Member

What, sports columnists really don't get to be with their family all the time like on Everybody Loves Raymond? Such a disappointment.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think even Ditka could've beaten Alan Keyes.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Ditka's a Republican, hence Keyes took his spot. Da Coach actually endorsed Alan Keyes over Obama. There was a great picture of them, arm in arm, on the front page of the Sun-Times.

7. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I can't remember who did the interview, but someone asked Obama, theoretically, what would he have done if he had to run against Ditka instead of Keyes. Obama said something to the effect of he would have asked if you really want to vote for a guy who gave the ball to Refrigerator Perry instead of Walter Payton in Super Bowl XX.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The guy comes up with elegant line after elegant line.

You just shake your head in wonderment.

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Roger Ebert is a tremendous film critic whose written work is generally underrated because he was such a popular figure on television. Pity that in the course of standing up for his institution he has to suffer the indignities of a being in a "debate" with a grating pinhead like Mariotti.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ebert is a hero of mine and I take offense at the comment, but I can understand Jay being pissed at Ebert being the face of the paper when he has one of the cushiest jobs in journalism. That's not Ebert's fault though and there is no excuse to make a comment like that about someone, especially someone coming back from a debilitating illness.

Based on the way the Sun-Times treated Jay when he quit, I have no sympathy for the paper.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What you said, all of it.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Oh Jesus.

Draft saved Draft deleted