1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stay classy Dexter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Raised your hand if you are surprised Dexter Manley said something stupid

http://deadspin.com/former-redskin-dexter-manley-calls-troy-aikman-a-queer-1453418750?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

But to be fair, when he said it he had spelled "kweer" in his head.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Between that and Brandon Meriweather popping off as we type, it is quite a day for feet in mouth around these parts.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You bunch of politically correct mamby-pambies.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The stuff about Marshall allegedly beating up his girlfriend was a bit unnecessary, but he was right on the money about the rules forcing defensive players to go low on receivers.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I love the stuff about Marshall and his girlfriend. Why should everyone pretend that didn't happen?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As for Manley's comments ... stupid, but by now Aikman should be fine just disregarding it. Has to be the 10th time someone has said it publicly.

8. JackReacher

His point is valid, I agree. I just don't think that has anything to do with why he's suspended. He could have made his point about going high/low without bringing that up. I haven't read everything Marshall said last week, but apparently, it started to get personal, so this response by Meriweather isn't exactly unexpected.

All told, I don't really care that he brought that into it, but his point could have been made without it.

9. JackReacher

@SInow Brandon Meriweather intends to go low, tear people's ACLs and end careers

Whatever helps you get clicks, I guess.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think Marshall gets an enormous pass because he's well-spoken, charismatic, and seems intelligent. You read about this guy who has had incident upon incident in the past. Who essentially got his teammate killed at a nightclub. And then he takes the podium, dressed like a GQ spread, talking like a member of the Harvard debate team. Cognitive dissonance is a big reason why Marshall gets a huge pass, I think.

And, yeah, Marshall got personal, with his comments about how guys like Merriweather don't have anything in their life for after football ends. Considering Marshall's history, that takes some balls.

Merriweather is still a menace who shouldn't be allowed to play football, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What if a retired Washington Redskin tried to out an analyst at Fox Sports and no one cared?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How can anybody who knows anything about Dexter Manley be "shocked and stunned" that he said something stupid?

Draft saved Draft deleted