1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stay classy Arizona Republic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

From a technical, ad-revenue stance: This is content that the paper/company doesn't have to pay for. It adds another x-amount of locations for run-of-site impressions to be housed. It adds more search possibilities based on topics. If the reader that is blogging is a typical or even partially-savvy blogger, they will tag the hell out of everything, which makes it more search friendly.

There's also another reason why newspaper sites will never be profitable -- the ad sales people don't want to devote the time to develop search-friendly keywords and AdWords through Google and Yahoo. They already get the purchased links and rotating ads, and they think those great, but unless they start to devote ad people to developing search-friendly keywords that they purchase from Google (which are cheap - between $.01 and $.17 for an exact search phrase), then why bother.

That's why when you search a specific topic, a Wikipedia entry is usually the first Google link. Because Wikipedia buys the search keywords ...

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not true. Google results are based on an algorithm unless it's a sponsored link, which is clearly labeled. The Wikipedia foundation doesn't have the kind of cash to buy ad words since the site itself has no business model that I know of.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN is wishing they had similar video to go with the Candace Parker story. ;D

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

More douches and sluts from the Arizona Republic at Havasu this year. You can't travel with the Coyotes the whole season, but you can send staff up to get drunk with the college kids.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, you take the perks where you can get them in this biz these days.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just hope the medical plan covers STD treatment.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

More people care about hot college girls than hockey in Arizona. ;D

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Fuck integrity. It's suffocating us to a slow death.

Great call by the Republic. Sex = page views. If you can tie it into a news story, you win.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My news, my paper!!! :D :D :D

10. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I remember in the fall looking at the Sports section of philly.com, the Inquirer/Daily News website, and two of their top three "most viewed" photo galleries were from a lingerie football game. And the galleries had several dozen photos each. The other was for a Flyers game, and had maybe five photos.

Interesting road.

11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

I go to Hooters for the wings...

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

See: Back page, Toronto Sun for further examples.

Draft saved Draft deleted