1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Statute of limitations on clips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 3, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Generally speaking, how do you editors out there feel about old clips? How old is too old for a clip to be included?

I've got a few really good stories that won some awards, but they're from 2005 and 2006, so I'm wondering if that's too long ago for them to still be included.

The best thing I ever wrote in my life is from 2002, and I just assume that's too old.

2. spud

spud Member

Good writing is good writing. The news is stale, but as long as you provide a steady progression (the old and the new), employers aren't reading it for its immediate news value today.

Just make sure they understand the writer they're hiring. If it was good in 02 it's good now, but you've likely grown since then. Include the newbies too. A five-clip string is plenty to show your maturation.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are award-winners something to crow about? Do readers or most editors care? I'm curious on that one.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

I know people like to rip contests, but there's an excellent chance that a story that wins, say, an APSE or SPJ award is well-written and worth including in a clips package. And if you're mentioning APSE or SPJ recognition on your resume, don't you think an editor would want to see those clips?

5. accguy

accguy Member

I think it's always OK to send some older stuff as long as that's not all you send.

If you had some kickass stuff before, include it. Put a note on there saying how that piece won the an award. But also provide some stuff from the last year.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Along the same lines, if you've been out of the business for 3-4 years, you probably wouldn't have much new stuff to send, if any.

Of course, these days, if you've been out of the biz for four years, you likely aren't looking to get back in.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's statue.

I wouldn't think there'd be a time limit on things like clips. Your work is your work, and it should, realistically, only get better with time. If anything, it should show a constant progression of your skills.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As a fellow "Seinfeld" fan, I think our boy is just quoting Cosmo Kramer and knows it's statute.

I hope.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Indeed. I've seen him make the same joke before.

Then again, all the Seinfeld drivel runs together.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It's dribble.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Let me ask you a question. On a Hook-and-Ladder, who gets the yardage?

Draft saved Draft deleted