1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stats via a Laptop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Blake1288, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Blake1288

Blake1288 New Member

Does anyone here do it? Or have a program that makes it simple and fast? Moving into the hockey and basketball season I'm looking for a more productive method.

Thanks for any help.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Nope. Always pad and paper.

Hockey would be very easy to do on paper. Shots, saves, goals, PIMs.

I would guess if you're going to do basketball on a laptop, you would need a fancy scorekeeper like most colleges have.

There have been a couple scorekeeping threads on here with football and basketball tips. That could be a good resource.

It's been awhile since I've done a game, but I always had two clipboards. One with a homemade scoresheet, with a column for each quarter, OT, fouls, halftime points, game points, and rebounds/assists/steals, etc (which I marked with an A, R, S, etc).

Never kept individual shooting, but always did team shooting on my play by play (on the other clipboard).

X for missed shots, straight line for a turnover or no shot attempted.

3. Blake1288

Blake1288 New Member

For basketball I always do individual shooting, free throws, rebounds, blocks, and I attempt to do steals.

I also always use pad and paper, a steno notebook and a clipboard.

I was just wondering if anyone had a better way. A .exl file or something that allowed for shots/rebound or shots/goals/face~off totals on the fly.

4. Blake1288

Blake1288 New Member

Do you have a link to that thread?

5. Hank_Scorpio

It's on the journalism topics somewhere.

You're a reporter. Don't expect stuff handed to you (although if I had it, I would post it).

You should be able to find it there, either via search or just go page by page.

6. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Truthfully, you would also need a spotter for that. StatCrew requires that you enter the play-by-play of the game, which requires that you watch every play, type what happens on every play, and be quick on your feet with the codes that the program requires.

I don't recommend using stats software without a spotter, especially in a sport like basketball.

7. Depends on how sophisticated you want to get. StatCrew is god-awful, but the industry standard. It might be the last piece of DOS-based software still in wide-scale use. It might be easier for you to simply ask a recent college graduate, or anyone who works outside of the sports and features departments, to set up a simple Excel template with pivot tables. You'll not only have a handy-dandy way to enter the stats you care about, you'll have them electronically archived, you'll be able to sort them by various columns (this is data mining, and a great source to discover or support storylines), and do all of this on a computer screen in the office, and an iPhone and an iPad and a laptop.

It's a great big, rapidly changing world. Good luck with your pen, Steno and buggy whips.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Very true on the spotter.

You may also have limited space in a high school gym, especially if there isn't room at the scorers table.

9. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

It is not perfect by any means, and it is not free either, but DaksStats could work for you.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ugh. Don't get me started on high school scorekeepers. Was at a game last nite, wanted to double-check my running totals against the scorebook after the game. Blocks? Nope, "we don't keep that." (Even though one kid on the team is ALL ABOUT blocked shots... no offense to speak of, but he's a defensive staple.) How about turnovers, of which I counted 24 by one craptastic team? "Nope."

Egads.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

To be fair to scorebook lads and ladies everywhere, that is precisely what they keep track of -- the score. Besides fouls (which can get you put out of the game) and participation (ditto, if done incorrectly), no reason for the scorer to care about anything but buckets.

12. Hank_Scorpio

I think they were talking about the student statkeepers that sit on the end of the team's bench. Not the scorekeeper, who sits at the official scorers table.

At any rate, trust your own stats. You likely pay more attention or know more about statkeeping. Most coaches get their official stats off the tape anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted