1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stats LLC looking for Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by YoungSportsScribe, Aug 1, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

I was told on Monday that this position was filled. Not sure who got the job, but it wasn't me. My hunch is that a former AP staffer from the New York office took the job.

2. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Is this a cubicle-like job, where you just hammer out numbers, etc?

3. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

This job has been filled.

4. Got to give it up to this place for having some incompetent people involved in the hiring process. I rushed to get my stuff out there because I was told to do so by one of the editors. Don't hear from them for like two weeks. I send out an email to an editor there asking what is going on and he says he loves my stuff and will get back to me soon. Another two weeks goes by and I get an email from a different editor to ask if I'm still interested, I say yes, and in turn get an email saying they would set up a phone interview in the coming week. Week goes by, don't hear anything, email person back and don't get a response back, come on here to find out position is filled.

If those are the type of people running that place, good thing I won't be there. I mean, if you tell someone you're going to set a phone interview with them, at least have the decency to email that person back and tell them things fell through or whatever. Worst experience ever applying for an opening. No one has ever come close.

5. I sent my stuff the day after the job was posted. I received an e-mail from Orefice saying he was very intrigued with my resume/clips and said he'd get back to me the following week. Didn't hear from him for about three weeks so I e-mailed him and got no response.

About a week later I got a phone call from someone in Illinois asking if I'm still interested. I say I am. They ask if I'll be in the Illinois area anytime soon for an interview. I say no. They ask if I can fly out, at my expense, within a few days for an interview. I say not at my expense, no. His response was they have locals interested as well so they didn't see the need to have to pay to fly me out. I said I'm not interested. Never heard back from them again. Although I was told the pay would range between $40-45K.

6. Nice to see I wasn't the only one to have problems with these people. But what does that say about that place?

7. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

unfortunately in my experience with other places for writing that aren't newspapers, that seems to be par for the course.

8. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

Basically, it says the hiring manager is moron - someone in over his head - and also that it's not a place you want to work at

Draft saved Draft deleted