1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

statewide prep sports positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, May 20, 2009.

1. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Rockbottom, I got your message, but I don't think you got my reply. Something might have gone wrong with sending it. Why wouldn't I say what I said if everyone is complaining about interviews, communication, etc.? I'm happy your friend got a healthy check. I hope he becomes rich on this thing. If it's not phony, fine, but you might want to explain it to the multitude of folks who have experienced problems dealing with them.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I think declaring one thing, without knowing just a whole lot about it, is foolhardy. Feel free to refer to my previous posts on this thread regarding my dude's experiences with CoachesAid.com.

RB

3. spartan47

spartan47 New Member

I was contacted by a state coordinator about helping cover my part of the state...haven't heard back from them...wondering what's up with these people.

4. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

I'm in the same boat as far as waiting to hear back.
    Interviewed for a state coordinator job, was told "we'll send you a letter if we don't hire you" or you'll hear back from us.
    A month later i get a call from some guy asking if i'm interested in just doing my region of the state to which i say sure. (I was pretty sure i didn't want the state coordinator job after it turned into a sales job).
    Anyway he goes "I'll totally get back to you by Tuesday.
    Three Tuesday's have passed.
    I don't really care. In the meantime I happened to get a fulltime job. So really I'm just waiting on them to call me so I can tell them to kiss off.
    Or sweeten the deal for me to hammer out a regional report and story per week.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

After weeks of getting the run around by these guys I'm just about out of hope. In mid July I was told by my state's coordinator that I was first in line to get a reporting job under him. He said he would "touch base" (seems to be a popular term with these guys) in a few days. Well a full month went by with no contact so I emailed him to see what was up and he said they do not have the budget to hire any reporters at this time and that it might not be until October. So in the meantime, he's doing his coordinator job plus the reporting job. I imagine this is is going on in most, if not all state. Now I'm REALLY glad I turned down the coordinator job because I'd hate to be in his shoes right now. At this point, if it happens, great. If not, I won't lose any sleep.

6. spartan47

spartan47 New Member

I was told they needed 3 articles per week for the site for my part of the state...the compensation sounded good. The state coordinator told me we would get together for lunch the next week and hammer out the details. It's been a month now. E-mails not returned.

7. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

I'm pretty much done with these chumps.
    Think I'll stick with the stability of freelancing on Fridays for newspapers.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like some folks didn't get part-time gigs. Whoa, stop the presses there!

I am 99 percent sure the 50 content coordinator positions are filled. I am also 99 percent sure that those 50 positions don't have sales elements included.

RB

9. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

I'm pretty sure they are going to have a sales element to them.
    The pitch I was given was "the first year we'll let you just get focused on getting the content for the site. The second year we'll expect you to start doing some of the development of the site by going out and talking to potential advertisers."

Sorry, sounds like a sales pitch to me.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Rockbottom:

I interviewed in person for a coordinator position. Trust me, they are sales and marketing jobs. That's why I told them no thanks and instead applied for a reporting position.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Add me to the list of people who haven't heard back from them after what appeared to be a really good conversation.
    The person I talked to even had really good answers for some of the questions I asked him. But when I was told I would hear back from him pretty soon, I was skeptical (given the previous comments on here).
    Sure enough, it's been a month.

The odd part about it: I never sent them my stuff. I'm an established freelancer in my state and was recommended by several people. They came after me.
    I can't speak for everyone else on this board, but this site isn't exactly doing much to inspire confidence.

12. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

Figured some people would be interested: I received an email just a little bit ago from the South Carolina state coordinator saying their budget was pushed back until November and they can't offer and freelance jobs until then. That might explain the lack of contact between the coordinators and all the people they've contacted.

Draft saved Draft deleted